Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Windows Systems File Names

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 weezer

weezer

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

I picked up an older Compaq computer running XP from a friend and am trying to change the windows system file located in C:documentsand settings from his name to mine.  I have already renamed the registered owner using regedit.  Any ideas how I can rename this folder? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

System file? You mean the profile folder I presume. I don't think that's possible or feasible.

You just need to create your own profile and then delete his. Here's how...

Open Control Panel, User Account and create a new account. Make it an administrator account.

Log off his account and log into yours.

Go back to User Accounts and delete his account. If I'm remembering correctly it will ask you if you want to preserve his profile files. You should just nuke it all but the choice is yours.

#3 Judith1314

Judith1314

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

As far as I know, I also think it is impossible to change the name of system file. You can follow the instructions above, and I think it will be workable. Good luck!

#4 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

I was given a computer by the guy upstairs, and I tried to change his name to mine, semi successfully. What I did was use the Windows Registry Editor program, "regedit32.exe" to search for ALL references to his name in the registry, and change them to mine. I also looked for all references to the name he gave his computer, and changed them to my name for it. Similarly I searched for ALL references to his password and changed them to mine.

In spite of that it still boots with his name on the start screen, and I have to erase it and type in mine and my password every time I boot the thing. I also rechecked the registry, and found that some entries had changed back to his name. I changed them to mine again, but every time it boots they change back to his name. Only solution as far as I can see is to format the HDD and reinstall Windopes. 

#5 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

No, I've given the solution. Scroll up and read it.

#6 weezer

weezer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

Thanks to the Senior Member I'm finally set up right.  Your solution was perfect.  Thanks again!

#7 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:38 PM

Your welcome! BTW, my name is X or in the case of this forum that requires names to be 3 characters it's .X..

Happy computing!

#8 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

X.. -- You were right !! I followed your instructions, and that fixed it. Thanks very much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users