Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE has disappeared from computer - avast! problem?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NeedHelpPleez

NeedHelpPleez

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

My Internet Explorer is not connecting on my desktop - HP with Windows 7, Service Pack 1. (It works fine on the laptop.) It worked in the morning, but failed to connect the same evening. I called my provider, who walked me through a variety of steps, but nothing helped. We checked Network and Sharing Center. There is a red "X" through the connection line between the computer icon and the Internet icon. Under Change to Adapter Settings, nothing shows up. I tried Toubleshooting Internet Connections, and it tells me "The wireless network adaptor is experiencing problems." I've pushed the button on the wireless box, but nothing changed. However, I was not using the wireless connection prior to this problem. I've checked all plugs and connections that I can think of, but all seem to be connected tightly. I've run troubleshooting test on all network adapters and get same message as above.

I checked the Device Manager and under Network Adapters, all but three (Atheros 802.11 a/b/g/n Dualband Wireless Network Mobile, Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter, Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller) have a warning triangle. And, of course, without the internet, I cannot update. As I look closer, I see that the warning adapers all have avast! in the title. Under devices, there are two Unknown devices, one of which also has the warning symbol. If I uninstall avast!, would that eliminate the problem? I can reactivate my Vipre for protection.

All progams and printer work fine; I just cannot get on to the internet or email. When I click on the internet icon, it flashes, but disappears.

If necessary, is it possible to download IE from my laptop and transfer to desktop? I would truly appreciate your help, as the desktop is the computer I use daily. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

You could try a system restore. Start Menu/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore. Choose a restore point just before the issue began.

If that doesn't work:

The warning triangles are indicating a driver issue. Before you do anything else, try this:

In Device Manager highlight each of the items and RIGHT click. Choose Uninstall.

After uninstall you will be told to reboot your computer. When you reboot Windows should find the devices and install the generic Windows drivers. You will see on the desktop that this is being done and will be informed when they finish installing.

After that, check Device Manager again to see if the warnings  disappeared. Generic Windows drivers will do in a pinch. If it works you can then get the manufacturer drivers.

If so, you can try to reset Internet Explorer by going to Control Panel/Internet Options/Advanced tab/Reset Internet Explorer settings.

#3 NeedHelpPleez

NeedHelpPleez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:20 AM

Thank you for the suggestions; I tried them, but IE still flashes and disappears. I can now get Outlook to upload, but pictures will not display and when I click on them Outlook closes. I have updated the three remaining drives. I also tried "turn Windows on/off" feature: IE8 shows up on list, unchecked. I check it, but it does not stay checked. I tried downloading IE9 & IE10 onto a flashdrive via my laptop to install on to the desktop, but when I try to install onto the desktop, it told me each time that IE9 was already installed - however, I do not see it listed anywhere. Finally, I tried Kai Schatzl's delicious script for both 32bit and 64bit, but still same. Any other suggestions, please? Thank you!

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:41 PM

When you looked for IE 9 in Programs and Features did you click View installed updates on the upper left side? After installed updates loads it will be under Microsoft Windows.

#5 NeedHelpPleez

NeedHelpPleez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

Nothing under Microsoft Windows listing IE9 - or any version of IE. All but three say Microsoft Windows; the three say either User-Mode or Kernel-Mode Driver Framerwork v1.11 and the third just has one of the KB numbers listed.

#6 NeedHelpPleez

NeedHelpPleez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:29 PM

Is it possible to enter a specific date to restore to? I need to go back farther than what is listed?

#7 NeedHelpPleez

NeedHelpPleez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

Any other suggestions before I have to take in in to the shop, please? Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users