Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accessing secure folders to recover data on a failing hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gigabyte58

gigabyte58

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:15 AM

I am new to posting on the site and I have  searched for this issue but come up blank. Here is my problem I am attempting to recover data from a hard drive that is failing - no partition found. I have been able to scan and mount the partition (NTFS) and I have recovered the public folders, the issue is with the other two user folders, I see they are write protected, I am unable to remove the write protection or grant my self even read access to the folders. I have mounted them as I said and made an image of the partition which is what I am working on, but of course the two folders are not copying to the image as I do not have permission to access them.

The Drive is an 80 Gig partitioned and formatted NTFS with Windows XP, I have tried a rescue CD in the system with no luck and now I have the drive in a an external dock on a different system running Win 7 (I am using my Admin Acct.

This seems to be an issue like the Ransome ware infections where users lose access to their data, any suggestions welcome and greatly appreciated.

Mike Ears Hopin P

Edited by hamluis, 03 August 2013 - 09:15 AM.
Moved from XP to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:19 AM

You sure it's not just a permission issue? Try How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP.  7 is pretty much the same. Just takes a lot more clicks.

Oh, and in the future, backup your data to a second physical disk or the cloud. This will avoid the inevitable.

Edited by .X., 03 August 2013 - 07:21 AM.

#3 gigabyte58

gigabyte58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:32 AM

Sorry I should have mentioned it is a permission issue I am sure of that, I have tried to take ownership of the folders but I am denied access to change permissions or add a new user to even have read rights. Oh and for the record I am anal about backup (I use external drives and an automated backup to Windows Home server), this is a recovery project for a former manager who was good about backing up his work laptop but not as careful with his home system... Good guy so I am doing my best to help him out.

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

If you're an administrator you should be able to do it. I've never had a problem doing so.

Import this reg file on Windows 7. Attached File  TakeOwnerShip.reg   730bytes   2 downloads It will add a "Take Ownership" to files and folders context menus. Try it on the folders in question.

If you need more help, check this.

Edited by .X., 03 August 2013 - 08:11 AM.

#5 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

gigabyte58, I forgot to mention to back up your registry before importing that reg file.

Please visit http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/, download and install/unzip ERUNT. Run ERUNT, click OK at the Welcome dialog, accept the default values that are pre-filled in and pre-checked, click OK, click yes and OK when it's done.

To restore the backup at a later date, navigate to the ERDNT folder in your Windows directory, open the folder with the date you want to restore from and then click ERDNT.EXE. It will restore your registry but it needs to reboot to do so. When it asks you to do so, click yes.

Edited by .X., 04 August 2013 - 05:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users