Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Was my computer hacked after using Logmein?!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fp.ryerson

fp.ryerson

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:51 AM

Hi

A couple of nights ago I remote connected to a broadband technician in India using Logmein Rescue - this was to fix my mobile broadband. He didn't do that much: ran cc cleaner and cleaned with the advanced tabs checked, reinstalled the software, rebooted. After 20 mins he realised that my area was down and it wasn't my computer (great service there!) and closed down the remote control. I deleted Logmein. I also unchecked "Allow remote connection" in the firewall settings for extra peace of mind.

After that my cable internet became really slow, less than 1 mbps on speedtest. I disabled the firewall for max 30 seconds to run another speed test, but no change. I then re-enabled the firewall. 

The next day the speed was a little faster still not great, so I refreshed my PC and it's been fine ever since.

My question is, did the net slow down because I was being hacked after using this Logmein, or was it coincidence / something that he or I did? 

Further questions I suppose are, how safe is Logmein and what is the likelihood that it would leave a port open or make my PC vulnerable somehow? Also, was disabling my firewall for 30 seconds long enough for it to be hacked??

I don't know much about how firewalls work. If a computer is compromised when the firewall is down, but then you enable it, will the firewall pick up the hostile connection??

Many thanks for your answers (to those who know more about these things!)Hi

A couple of nights ago I remote connected to a broadband technician in India using Logmein Rescue - this was to fix my mobile broadband. He didn't do that much: ran cc cleaner and cleaned with the advanced tabs checked, reinstalled the software, rebooted. After 20 mins he realised that my area was down and it wasn't my computer (great service there!) and closed down the remote control. I deleted Logmein. I also unchecked "Allow remote connection" in the firewall settings for extra peace of mind.

After that my cable internet became really slow, less than 1 mbps on speedtest. I disabled the firewall for max 30 seconds to run another speed test, but no change. I then re-enabled the firewall. 

The next day the speed was a little faster still not great, so I refreshed my PC and it's been fine ever since.

My question is, did the net slow down because I was being hacked after using this Logmein, or was it coincidence / something that he or I did? 

Further questions I suppose are, how safe is Logmein and what is the likelihood that it would leave a port open or make my PC vulnerable somehow? Also, was disabling my firewall for 30 seconds long enough for it to be hacked??

I don't know much about how firewalls work. If a computer is compromised when the firewall is down, but then you enable it, will the firewall pick up the hostile connection??

Many thanks for your answers (to those who know more about these things!)

PS Some hotshots over on yahoo answers have misinterpreted my question and said I've been scammed / hacked, thinking that the technician in India was a scammer. I DO NOT believe he hacked me as he works for 3 Mobile and I called him to help me. My question is, does Logmein make you vulnerable somehow and was I hacked after using it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

LogMeIn is a legitimate company which employs 256-bit SSL encryption and adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles administered by the U.S. Department of Commerce. Once you disconnect from the connection it is no longer usable. The user has the ability to stop remote access or disconnect at any time.

LogMeIn Privacy Policy
LogMeIn Fundamentals
LogMeIn: How It Works
LogMeIn Security: An In-Depth Look

The slowness afterwards most likely was a coincidence.

You are correct about the scammers. They solicit (call) you first and usually claim there is malware on your computer...then offer to help remove it. Some even misrepresent themselves as being from Microsoft.

Avoid scams that use the Microsoft name fraudulently
Don’t fall for phony phone tech support
Avoid tech support phone scams: What you need to know
Ask Leo: I got a call from Microsoft and allowed them access to my computer. What do I do now?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users