Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen after windows load screen

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 guyman20

guyman20

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:59 AM

Hello.

What happened:

One morning I woke up to realize my desktop is gone - nothing appears there but only My computer, My documents and recycle bin.

So I did "system restore".

After that, the computer restarted and wanted to run "check disk". 

After the check disk was completed, the computer rebooted, but now - every time the computer finish loading windows - I get a black screen with nothing on it.

The black screen happens before I'm even asked to choose the computer user and enter its password.

What I tried;

1. Safe mode to install new video driver - safe mode doesn't work. I opened a new thread about this problem (since it's a problem I had for a long time).

2. Run check disk /r using recovery console - I got an error "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems". Need to mention the hard disk is actually accessible (using Hiren).

3. Install the video driver using Hiren - After the installation extracts its files, I get an error generated by the setup file - "an unknown error has occurred"

I'm using XP Pro SP3, Ge-force 250GTS, Hitachi 1000GB HDD.

Any other info needed? If so, please tell me and let me know how to retrieve it from the computer.

Please help.
Thank you

Guy

Edited by guyman20, 03 August 2013 - 04:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 guyman20

guyman20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:40 AM

Update;

I tried disabling NVSvc driver (Nvidia driver) using recovery console but now the screen black outs even before I see the windows loading screen.

I enabled the driver again but it still black outs earlier than before..

#3 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:01 AM

Do a hard drive test with Drive Fitness Test by Hitachi. Use ImgBurn to burn as an image and boot off the CD by pressing the boot menu key at startup. If you don't see a boot menu key mention when your computer starts, go into the BIOS and set the CD-ROM as the first boot device.

When installing ImgBurn, make sure to run it from the run command with a space and a /nocandy switch after .exe.

#4 guyman20

guyman20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:47 AM

I ran it but I'm asked to indicate the controller I have.

I have no idea what to chose. Can you tell me how am I supposed to know?

Also, will I lose data from any kind of the tests there?

#5 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:22 AM

You should be backing up your data to a second physical disk or the cloud. If you aren't, you should start doing so. I do it daily. Sometimes more than once. Takes a few seconds. There's always a new bookmark I add or stuff I download, etc.

I tested it in a VM before recommending it to you. The first option, choose SCSI and ATA support. I just chose for adaptec for the 2nd option. I didn't care. LOL. It worked.

EDIT: Oops. Forgot to say. Don't worry. There's little chance you will lose data.

Edited by .X., 03 August 2013 - 08:24 AM.

#6 guyman20

guyman20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

I'll try it tomorrow after I'll buy an external hard drive.

In the meantime, I'll be happy to hear other suggestions to try

Thank you

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

If that drive is an HGST drive...you should use the HGST diagnostic, rather than the DFT.

http://www.hgst.com/support/downloads

What is the model number for the hard drive, please?

Louis

#8 guyman20

guyman20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

If that drive is an HGST drive...you should use the HGST diagnostic, rather than the DFT.

http://www.hgst.com/support/downloads

What is the model number for the hard drive, please?

Louis

Can you please tell me how to check that considering my situation? 

Also, the link you provided actually directs to the DFT tool and 2 other tools. Which one should I use? And is it guaranteed that I won't lose data with that?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:06 AM

The Drive Fitness Tool...is not what the link suggests, if you read carefully...you will note that HGST's tool is called the HGST Windows Drive Fitness Test.  The latter is different from the simple Drive Fitness Test that Hitachi made for older drives it gave it's name to.

HGST is not the same as Hitachi, when it comes to hard drives,

To check the model number of any hard drive...all you have to do is remove it and look at the labeling on the drive.  Ir's in plain sight.

Louis

#10 guyman20

guyman20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

It's Hitachi HDT721010sla360.

Few days ago, when I was still able to boot normally and wanted to do a HD test, I did download this tool but it didn't recognize any hard drives (I ran it in normal mode).
How do you suggest running it now, when I can't access neither normal or safe mode?

Thank you for your help

Guy

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

http://www.hgst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/D70FC3A0F32161868625747B00832876/$file/Deskstar_7K1000.B_DS.pdf , it's an HGST drive, running the old Hitachi DFT won't be valid.

OK...I see now that I need to correct myself, apologies to all.

The HGST site does reflect the old DFT as a download, the link supplied by X is correct and also contains instructions for running the DFT.  Tthe Windows DFT at the HGST site...is designed to run in Windows and cannot be used to test the drive reflecting Windows.

If you follow the guide provided for using the DFT, that should yield reliable results.  The Diagnostic must be run from CD/DVD, see DFT Instructions for details.

Louis

FWIW:  WD sold HGST to..;.Toshiba, about a year ago :).

Edited by hamluis, 03 August 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#12 guyman20

guyman20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

The problem was resolved by manually copying the 5 registry hives from a restore folder.

I will still check my hard disk regardless.

Please note the safe mode problem still remains.

Thank you for your kind help.

Guy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users