Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery partition using too much space?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 slow72

slow72

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:43 PM

I recently purchased a refurb laptop that has a recovery parition of 13.67 GB as shown in Windows Disk Management.  When I check the properties of the partition it shows 8.42 GB of used space and 5.24 GB free space.  Is there anyway I can add the free space of this partition to the main partition.  Why would Dell use this much space when it only needed about 9 GB?  (This was a manufacturer refurb machine) I know 5 GB does not sound like a lot, but I only have 105.57 GB total on the main partition, I would like to use all I can.  Don't know if it matters, but this computer actually came with a Windows Reinstallation DVD from Dell, do I even need the recovery partition?  Thanks for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:03 AM

I run XP pro....HP computer....it also had a 15 GB recovery partition.

I used Disc management (inbuilt Windows Tool) to alter the partition....wiped it out and added the space to the overall availability...

Others may know more about the Dell system.....whether or not it has any peculiarities.

or....buy another HD, and seek advice here about how to install, transfer info, operating system etc

regards,

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 slow72

slow72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:12 AM

I run XP pro....HP computer....it also had a 15 GB recovery partition.

I used Disc management (inbuilt Windows Tool) to alter the partition....wiped it out and added the space to the overall availability...

Others may know more about the Dell system.....whether or not it has any peculiarities.

or....buy another HD, and seek advice here about how to install, transfer info, operating system etc

regards,

Was you able to add the recovery partition to your main partition without wiping out the main?  Or did you have to wipe both?  Thanks for the reply.

Edited by slow72, 03 August 2013 - 12:12 AM.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:23 AM

yes....i was able to add the recovery partition to the main partition.....simply by eliminating the recovery partition.

Any of these programs will also do the job. Just be very careful about what you delete !!

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-partition-management-software.htm

Regards,

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 slow72

slow72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:31 AM

Thanks Condobloke.  Anyone know if dell puts anything in these partitions I should be worried about loosing?  Does anyone know if I can just shrink the partition without loosing anything inside?  TIA

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:19 AM

A recovery partition should not be altered or resize just to gain extra space from a depleting main partition. The best thing to do is to clone the drive on a larger capacity drive to maintain the recovery partition,programs and operating system with all data intact.

Tekken

#7 slow72

slow72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:50 AM

A recovery partition should not be altered or resize just to gain extra space from a depleting main partition. The best thing to do is to clone the drive on a larger capacity drive to maintain the recovery partition,programs and operating system with all data intact.

Why would you not recommend resizing the partition if it has 5 GB of free space? I really don't want to have to drop $200 to put in a larger drive, especially if my recovery partition has 5 GB not being used and will not need? Am I missing something, will the recovery files expand over time needing the extra space that is allocated?  Thanks for the reply.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

<<Why would you not recommend resizing the partition if it has 5 GB of free space?>>

My reason would be...because the manufacturer of the drive has a better idea of how large that partition should be, what it is used for, and what should be the contents.

Louis

#9 slow72

slow72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

So your saying the recovery partition could or will use the free space that is available now?  Not sure I understand how it could do that.  What would Dell put in the recovery partition that would cause it to take up more space than it is currently occupying?  Do you guys even think I need to keep the recovery partition since I already have a recovery DVD?  Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:03 PM

What does the Dell system manual...say about that partition?

What does your system support webpage...say about that partition?

Those are the places I would look for asnwers to your questions.

Louis

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:20 PM

My approach to the recovery partition is, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. If you ever need it you'll be glad it works. Normally Dell uses several DVDs for recovery and the reload from them is a royal pain. Much better to use the automated recovery partition if needed.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:37 AM

Please post the computer model next time. How many discs are provided referring to the Dell recovery discs? It is unusual for a system to have both a recovery partition and discs at the same time. Unless they are created from within the computer itself which is normal when the hard drive is not usable anymore.

Tekken

#13 slow72

slow72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

It is a E5430 and it came with one Windows Reinstallation DVD.  It says the disc does not include programs or drivers.

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

It says the disc does not include programs or drivers.

It should come with drivers on OEM discs unless its a full retail version. The sites on the dell latitude model doesn't say much or none about a recovery disc. http://www.resettoo.com/restore-dell-latitude-e5430-to-factory-default-settings It's also possible that your HD is a SSD that is why it has a lower capacity. Create your own original recovery discs instead by launching the Dell wizard setup and prepare atleast 5 DVDs.

Tekken

#15 slow72

slow72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:48 PM

Yes the machine does have a SSD.  I don't think the E5430s originally came with Recovery Disks.  I think they just gave me one because this machine is a refurb.  The disk they gave me states "For distribution only with a new Dell PC" so I know it is a OEM Windows install disk.  As I mentioned earlier, it states on the disk "This DVD is not for reinstallation of programs or drivers."  I have owned a couple of other Dell PCs in the past, and yes, they always sent several disks with the drivers and software.  This was before most PC manufacturers stopped including recovery disk.

Just one question, do you know if the Dell Wizard Setup will include the drivers along with the software?  If it does, I will do that and probably just wipe the entire recovery partition out.  It has been difficult to find any info on my particular situation, thank you for your reply and the link!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users