Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange USB port behavior

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 redbird14

redbird14

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:29 PM

Computer is an HP Pavilion G7-2033 laptop running Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Symptoms:  The USB ports (2 3.0 ports, 1 2.0 port) are fine with a mouse, a keyboard, speakers or a printer.  They can't recognize any external media be it a flash drive or external drive UNLESS those drives are plugged in at boot time.  I can hot swap mice, keyboard, speakers and printers but not external media.

I've uninstalled the USB Host Controller & Root Hub and re-installed them.  That doesn't resolve the problem.

I restored an image from a time prior to when this started happening.  That doesn't resolve the problem.

How do I troubleshoot this?  How do I phrase a google search to find anything relevant to this?  Everything I've found though google talks about problems with external drives.  My drives operate fine on my desktop so I'm pretty sure there's no problem there.  The USB cable stays with the external hard drive and since there's no problem with the desktop, I don't think the cable is the issue either.  The external drive's drivers (Western Digital's WD-SES) are installed on the laptop using the same .msi package as was used to install them on the desktop.

For now, I'm just rebooting everytime I need to attach an external hard or flash drive but that's starting to get old.

Any guidance I can get to resolve this would be appreciated.

BTW, this is a refurbished machine that only had a 3 month warranty and I'm out of warranty.  HP wants as much as I paid for the machine to provide any additional support.  They make you agree to take a 1 year warranty to get any support in addition to paying for the support needed when you call in.  I've had it about 9 months now and it worked just fine until a few weeks ago.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

Hi

Please try updating the BIOS first. This type of symptoms can be happened due to BIOS bugs. System BIOS is the one responsible for detecting various components and assigning system resource to them. If BIOS didn't report the presence of a device to the OS, system will never know about that device. So update the BIOS first and let us check how the system works.

Here is the download link : http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp62001-62500/sp62218.exe

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 03 August 2013 - 09:45 AM.

#3 redbird14

redbird14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

Thank you, Anshad, for the suggestion.  As it turns out there were 2 BIOS updates for my model.  You sent me a link to the most current so I just installed that one.  It helped.  For now at least, both the USB 2.0 & 3.0 ports can recognize my USB 3.0 external hard drives.  Oddly, only the 3.0 ports can recognize my USB 2.0 flash drive.  I say oddly because heretofore, I could not use the USB 3.0 ports to read a USB 2.0 flash drive (this is not new; this had been happening since I purchased the laptop).

I also use a USB mouse on the laptop which I normally kept in the USB 2.0 port.  So to insert a flash drive, I had to move the mouse to a different port.  Now I don't have to do that.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:53 PM

Hi

That is definitely good knows. I also suspect some OS issues. Please try the below steps.

:step1: Run System File Checker

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

:step2: Update drivers.

Uninstall Intel USB 3 driver from Control Panel--> Programs first. Restart the system before proceed to the next step.

Now download and install the following drivers.

1. Chipset

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=816&DwnldID=20775&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Chipset+Software+Installation+Utility&lang=eng

2. USB 3

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/21129/eng/Intel®_USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller_Driver.zip&lang=eng&Dwnldid=21129

:step3: Update Windows

Check Windows update and install any pending updates. It may often contains patches to hardware related bugs. 

#5 redbird14

redbird14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

Anshad -  I will do this but I won't have time until tomorrow.  I'll let you know the results then assuming I can figure out what exactly to download.  Its now mid-afternoon Saturday where I am (North America, Central Time Zone).

For the 2nd download, USB 3, assuming the 'product family' is 'notebook products' (and that may be an incorrect assumption on my part so please correct me if it is incorrect), how do I determine the 'product line' ('classmate pc' or 'verified by Intel')?  Again, if i assume 'verified by Intel', then how do I determine the 'product name' from the 50 or so options?

Tthe windows updates are 'up to date' as of Friday as are most of the software packages on the machine based on what Avast and Glary told me had available updates.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:26 PM

Hi

Here is the direct download link for USB 3 driver.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3467&DwnldID=21129&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+USB+3.0+eXtensible+Host+Controller+Driver&lang=eng

Just download this and run the setup. Make sure to uninstall the older driver first.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 03 August 2013 - 11:27 PM.

#7 redbird14

redbird14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:44 AM

Everything appears to have run okay.  The System File Checker came back with "windows resource protection did not find any integration violations".  And there were no issues uninstalling or re-installing the 2 driver packages.  I'm able to access both flash drives and external hard drives through the USB 3.0 ports.  I haven't tried the USB 2.0 port as I have my mouse connected there.

On my desktop, the USB 3.0 ports can not recognize USB 2.0 devices (like a USB 2.0 flash drive).  I assumed the laptop was the same as both run Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.  It turns out the laptop's USB 3.0 ports can recognize 2.0 devices so going forward I'll probably only use those ports for external storage media.

I'm still confused about one thing.  How did you determine the 'product family' and 'product line' to get the right USB 3.0 driver?  Is there a resource/url you can provide that explains that?

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:57 AM

Hi

I will explain how i find the updated drivers. First i checked in the HP product support page and found out your system is using "Intel USB 3 controller" and the driver listed on their site is from 2012. So i went directly to Intel site and search for USB 3 driver. I got a driver dated march 2013. Since it is fairly newer than the one from HP site, i posted the download link for you. 

#9 redbird14

redbird14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

Okay, thanks for that explanation and all of your assistance with this!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users