Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba A205-S5000 keeps shutting off. Tried the usual stuff...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 slow72

slow72

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

Just as the title says, my laptop keeps shutting off like it is loosing power.  The computer started doing this about a month ago and has steadily gotten worse.  The specs are listed in the link below and the machine is in the same configuration it came in from Toshiba.

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/product/pdf_files/detailed_specs/Satellite_A205-S5000.pdf

I know it is not a power supply issue as I have tried a different charger/adapter with the same result.  I also know this is not a cooling issue as I have checked temps while running bench testing software and the cpu rarely gets over 55* C.  For good measure, I have tore the computer down twice to look for issues and cannot find anything?  I reapplied heat sink compond and even replaced the apapter plug with no change.

Yesterday, I attempted several times to run MemTest86 on the computer to see if the RAM is causing the issue.  Everytime I try the test the computer shuts off.  The furthest the test has gotten is test #8 on the first pass, with no errors reported.  I am unable to keep the system running long enough to get a full pass in.

What could be causing this failure?  Could the RAM be bad causing this issue?  How likely is it that the RAM has went bad for no reason after 5 years of use?  How likely is it that RAM this bad not show any errors on MemTest86 through test #8 on the first pass.  Could the mother board have some cracked solder somewhere that would take a magnifying glass and a month worth of searching to find?  Could it be the processor or HDD?

I am a DIY kind of guy and do not know much about computers.  I have already purchased another laptop to replace this machine.  It has been a pretty good machine considering I purchased it just over 5 years ago and it has been problem free until now.  With that said, this machine has been taken great care of, and never abused.  When I opened it up the first time while trouble shooting, I was shocked how clean it was.  However, I am taking it very personnal that I cannot find out what is wrong with it!  Any opinions or insight is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 slow72

slow72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:42 AM

Just wanted to post a little update.  I got MemTest86 to run 2 full passes and the machine got about half way through the 3rd pass before shutting down.  No errors were found, so I guess that leaves the processor, motherboard, or HDD as the problem.  I have ran a error-checker in Windows and it did not find anything.  Is there something else I should use to check the drive?  It is a Toshiba drive BTW.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:05 PM

Seagate's Seatools should check the Toshiba Hard Drive. A simple test. Use the bootable memtest and see if the laptop shuts down with that.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201271en

***** A. If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-....iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-....iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

p4393897.gif

8. Locate memtest86+-....iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

p4393911.gif

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Thanks to Keyboard Ninja for this tutorial

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 03 August 2013 - 06:08 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 slow72

slow72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

Yes, the laptop does shutdown while running the MemTest86, the furthest it has gotten is two full passes.  I will run the SeaTools and report back...  Thanks.

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

Hi,

Just reading through the messages I get the feeling that heat is involved. The temperature will have effects on the RAM, the CPU and the HDD.

The shut down during testing makes me think that the RAM modules are heating up and that crack you don't want to look for may beon one of those sticks.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

Just in case, since I suspect that You have two memory modules, try removing one and run the memtest. If it Shuts down, try removing it and using the other one. That will eliminate them as the problem if it shuts down when you test with them.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 slow72

slow72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

Update, just ran the SeaTools short and long test.  The HDD passed with no issues.  I have tried running the RAM test while isolating the RAM with the same result.

Soooooo, I am down to the motherboard or CPU.  What do you guys think?

#8 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:43 PM

Update, just ran the SeaTools short and long test.  The HDD passed with no issues.  I have tried running the RAM test while isolating the RAM with the same result.

Soooooo, I am down to the motherboard or CPU.  What do you guys think?

Ideally, it would be great if you had access to other RAM modules to check. Still the chances of both modules being bad is fairly low. That would leave the mainboard as the most likely source of your problem.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#9 slow72

slow72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:47 PM

I may have access to some compatible RAM.  I will have to wait until tomorrow to get it though.  I will report back... thanks for all the help!

Edited by slow72, 03 August 2013 - 11:54 PM.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:27 PM

It does tend to say that there is a Motherboard problem. Most likely a circuit that opens when expansion is caused by heat as the computer warms up.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 slow72

slow72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

Final update.  I got my hands on some known good RAM from another laptop.  The machine still shuts down.

Rotor123, I too am leaning towards a bad motherboard/bad circuit as well.

Looks like I will be parting this thing out on ebay, even if I could find the bad circuit or solder, I don't think I could fix it with my soldering skills without damaging the board further.  I may be able to get a couple of bucks out of the RAM, optical drive, & screen.

Thanks for all the help guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users