Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software to clean virus when you can't understand logs?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

Mod edit:Moved to AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods  ~~boopme      

Hey guys, there are times when I can't get into safe mode and rescue disks never worked for me, I have no idea why people use them? Anyway, since I don't have the expertise or knowledge to understand logs like when using OTLPE so I can use the Run Fix option to clean a virus, I am looking around for a similar softwareto OTLPE but one which will allow me to run a virus repair that way, I can remember coming across one software in the past which can do this but forgot the name of it, any ideas please?

Edited by boopme, 02 August 2013 - 07:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:37 PM

Hello mystic 12 -

Is this the tool that you are thinking about - You can use it to make changes to your computer, so care should be exercised when dealing with any programs / tools that you are not 100% sure about -

OTLI.gifOTL
OTL is currently a primary tool for searching key areas of the registry and other system locations for the telltale signs of malware. It generates a comprehensive log, and offers an initial diagnosis.

Important note: HijackThis has been replaced by OTL in this guide. Since being acquired by TrendMicro, HijackThis has not been regularly updated. Many infections are now able to hide partly, or completely from a HijackThis scan. OTL is authored by one of our staff members (OldTimer). It includes all the scan locations of HijackThis and more. It's not only a more comprehensive scan tool, but also offers more powerful removal features.
Download OTL to your Desktop .........

I have stopped at this point since others who may not be sure of it should NEVER play with it -

Thank You -

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

Specialized tools like OTLPE were created for trained helpers to assist others with diagnosing and removing malware infection. As such they are really intended to be used under the guidance and supervision of those helpers.

There are a variety of malware cleaning tools offered by various Anti-virus vendors for average users...do you want of list of them?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:50 PM

Well, remeber that I ams eeking a software which will clean a virus under these conditions when I won't be able to go to windows or go into safe mode or when a rescue disk will not clean the virus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users