Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer stops booting Windows 7 Even After Reformatting/Re-installing the OS

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tcooper1986

tcooper1986

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:01 PM

I have been having major issues lately with my HP Pavilion DV6t laptop running Windows 7 Professional. The computer is about 2 years old and has had no issues up until about two weeks ago. At the time, I started to have trouble loading windows 7. The OS would often fail to load and generate a blue screen error and reboot itself before the windows loading screens had completed cycling through. Afterwards, the PC would typically fail to start if I rebooted it again and instead prompt me to run windows repair and/or system restore. At first, running those utilities would fix the issue and the computer would work again for a day or two. However, I found that these problems would just start up again soon afterwards and that I was eventually unable to start up windows at all. 

At this point, I was even unable to even boot up safe mode. The drivers for safe mode would start to load but then the loading sequence would eventually freeze up and nothing would happen (often the computer would just crash after a few minutes). After the PC tried to prompt me to do system repair a few times after crashing or producing a BSOD error, it eventually would not work anymore and I would have no way to access windows. It would also not let me conduct system restore after going through the routine of not loading windows a few times.

After I got to this point, I decided to just go ahead and reformat the whole computer and reinstall windows from scratch. Every other option I had (such as repairing the current windows installation) was not working at that point. After I did this and re-installed the OS, it appeared to fix the problem at first. However, the computer ended up having the same issues I had in the first place where windows would not load the not long after I had done a complete reformat/reinstall. It would then again prompt me to do a system repair/system restore like I did before I reformatted the PC only to end up almost completely inoperable soon afterwards.

Since I first reformatted the PC, I have done a reformat/reinstall about 3 times only to end up with the same result. I should note that it appears that everything runs fine until I go to install the drivers for my ethernet/wireless card (which is the first driver I need after doing a full re-install). Once I get connected to the internet, the computer will crash following a BSOD error but then restart and act normal for a while. It is not until the next day (or about 12-14 hours after having the computer shutdown) that it will not boot up into windows. It doesn't seem to matter if I reboot or shutdown the computer multiple times soon after reformatting it.

I should also note that I have tried a number of anti-virus/anti-spyware programs after re-installing windows to see if that may be causing the issue. I ran superantispyware, Malwarebytes anti-spyware/anti-rootkit, Kaspersky anti-rootkit, CCleaner and Avast anti-virus but came up with no issues.

Does anyone think this is a software related issue or that this may be due to a hardware issue? I feel that the computer wouldn't turn on at all or wouldn't let me re-install windows in the first place if it was a major hardware issue causing these problems. Let me know what you think I could do to help get my PC to work again. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

Are you getting any error codes when the computer blue screens? Those would be helpful in narrowing down the cause of the problem.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:04 PM

Regardless of the true issues...running the appropriate diagnostic on the hard drive...won't hurt anything, as long as you just run the diagnostic and don't attempt any "fix" options whcih may be offered.

Hard drive issues often translate into seeming  Windows/software issues...so I would check that first.

Louis

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

If you remove the hdd you can see who the manufactuer is.  Please post this in your next topic and I will provide you with a link to the diagnostic tool for this hdd.

If you need information for accessing the hdd, this video should be of help.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 tcooper1986

tcooper1986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

If you remove the hdd you can see who the manufactuer is.  Please post this in your next topic and I will provide you with a link to the diagnostic tool for this hdd.

If you need information for accessing the hdd, this video should be of help.

Thank you for responding to my post. The hard drive is a seagate momentus 750GB SATA 7200 rpm st9750420as. 

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:41 AM

Please download SeaTools for DOS.  You will need to burn this to a disc, there is a good tutorial for this process which can be found here.

This will make a disc which your computer will boot from rather than the operating system in order to run the scan.  In order to boot from it you may need to enter the BIOS and make the CD/DVD-ROM the first device in the boot order, and the hdd the second device.

Once you know that you are set to boot from the disc place in in the tray of the optical drive, shut the tray, then reboot the computer.  The computer may open a page telling you to press any key to boot from the disc, do so.

Edited by dc3, 03 August 2013 - 08:49 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 tcooper1986

tcooper1986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

Please download SeaTools for DOS.  You will need to burn this to a disc, there is a good tutorial for this process which can be found here.

This will make a disc which your computer will boot from rather than the operating system in order to run the scan.  In order to boot from it you may need to enter the BIOS and make the CD/DVD-ROM the first device in the boot order, and the hdd the second device.

Once you know that you are set to boot from the disc place in in the tray of the optical drive, shut the tray, then reboot the computer.  The computer may open a page telling you to press any key to boot from the disc, do so.

I went ahead and ran seatools off of a cd on the PC in DOS. However, the program kept giving me the error message "no hard drive detected" after I ran the tool several times. After this, the test just stopped and nothing else happened. I did some more investigating and found in the bios that several error codes had been logged after I experienced BSOD errors. These error codes were 0305, 0303, 03F0 and 0502. I was able to find that the 0305 and 0303 basically mean for an HP PC that the hard drive is failing. Unfortunately, my PC is about two weeks past being covered by a warranty. I am going to go and try to buy a new internal HD for the laptop today and see if that solves my problems. Thank you though for directing me towards looking more closely at the HD as the culprit.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

You have my condolences for the early demise of your hdd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users