Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mic / Headset interference on W8, works in linux (sound clip included)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 James09

James09

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

This has gotta be some kind of power issue. FYI, I know I haven't around in a while and don't like asking a question and running, so I'll be sure to stick around and lend help.

I'll try to be to the point, and to start off, here is the sound clip of what is happening: http://wikisend.com/download/474978/Untitled (2).wma

Mostly meaningless, but the specs are Windows 8, AMD X2 7750 black, 6gb, ati 4850 512mb. Main headset is a basic logitech with standard blue/pink audio/mic inputs. No sound card. Audio is through the motherboard with standard Windows drivers.

This problem does not happen in Linux. I tested it with Mint 2012 on Skype and it works with zero issues. Not a single iffy hint of interference or static. I have tried multiple headsets/mics, front and back panels a million times, I have moved the comp to an empty room/power source with nothing but a mouse and keyboard plugged in, tried plenty of tweaks to the settings, skype/sound recorder/steam, and I'm at my wit's end. Maybe one of you can get a handle on this.

I used to use a headset and regular mic (as a backup) with Windows 7 a while back with no issues front or back panel. It works with Linux though, which is what has me so confused. If it's a power issue, why does the problem persist when i move the comp to a better source?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

are you running linux on the same computer and it sounds fine?

if so then it is most likely a driver issue, look up your motherboards drivers and reinstall the audio one

#3 James09

James09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

moved the comp to the most stable power source in the room, and posting from linux, mic jack is working fine but still nothing on Windows. Here is the audio from linux: http://wikisend.com/download/548400/2013-08-02-072143.mp3

Could this mean there's some settings I'm missing in Windows? I've tried adjusting the volume levels and other things, but nothing makes any sort of difference

#4 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

if its the same computer but the audio works with linux and not with windows it HAS to be a software thing, not a power source, or a hardware issue

#5 James09

James09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

Thanks for responding. I hadn't even seen your first post. It's the standard Windows drivers I was using. Installed the Asus audio driver and the problem still persists. Oddly enough, when I moved the comp back to its original spot, the audio was a bit better but still unusable. Some words might come out clear and others with that inaudible crap from the clip in the first post. Then a little while later it goes back to completely inaudible with not a single word coming out right. I have no idea what else to try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users