Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery Options

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jmix216

jmix216

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

Hello, I am trying to do a Windows 7 system repair.

1. Starting normally hangs on windows start-up screen.

2. Starting in safe mode stops after atipcie64.sys, then reboots with repair or start normally, with normal still hanging at windows startup screen and repair stopping after atipcie64.sys then going through the same routine.

3. Starting in last known working configuration hangs on windows start-up screen.

4. Using usb method with windows 7 repair file gives "missing operating system" error

5. Using recovery boot disc makes it to letting me select keyboard input method, I select and hit next, then it hangs on blue screen with designs with no username/administrator box showing up.  Mouse still works fine because I can move the cursor around the screen.

Everything was working great last night until my pc froze and an error box popped up saying windows 7 error.  I did a hard restart and that's when I all of these other problems began.

I also ran an HP Start-up test and everything PASSED.

I am now in the process as a last resort of downloading a FULL copy of Windows 7, burning to disc, and trying a boot, repair or re-install.

I included an attachment of a pic of the box that DOES NOT pop up after selecting keyboard input method.

Anyone have any other suggestions?   All help greatly appreciated!

I have an HP Win 7 64 bit 2.1 ghz AMD 8gb ram, everything was up to date and I haven't downloaded or installed anything in weeks.

Attached Files

Edited by jmix216, 02 August 2013 - 11:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

Hi

:welcome: to the Bleeping Computer forum.

From the description you provided, i suspect a file system corruption. As this type of errors can be happened due to a failing hard drive, i would do a diagnostic test first to confirm the drive is in good condition. 

Please follow the below steps.

:step1: Replace the hard drive data cable. Also reset the power cable.

sata.gif

If you don't have a spare cable, borrow one connected to the optical drive.

:step2: On the next reply, please post the below information.

1. Exact model number of your system.

2. Manufacturer of the hard drive ( Seagate, Samsung , Western DIgital , Hitachi etc )

I will post the download link and instructions for using appropriate diagnostic tool depending on the brand.

#3 jmix216

jmix216
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:16 AM

Hi

:welcome: to the Bleeping Computer forum.

From the description you provided, i suspect a file system corruption. As this type of errors can be happened due to a failing hard drive, i would do a diagnostic test first to confirm the drive is in good condition. 

Please follow the below steps.

:step1: Replace the hard drive data cable. Also reset the power cable.

sata.gif

If you don't have a spare cable, borrow one connected to the optical drive.

:step2: On the next reply, please post the below information.

1. Exact model number of your system.

2. Manufacturer of the hard drive ( Seagate, Samsung , Western DIgital , Hitachi etc )

I will post the download link and instructions for using appropriate diagnostic tool depending on the brand.

Hello, it's an HP 6610 and I believe the HD is a Seagate

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

A repair install would be the best way to go if all of the other methods failed.  This will not effect your data.

There is a good tutorial for this, it can be found here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jmix216

jmix216
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

This is the exact PC I have, I opened the case and it is a Seagate HD

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6728340

I had a 2 year warranty that wouldn't you know ended last month on July 11th lol....smh

I have about an hour left on my Full Windows 7 download before I burn to disc and try a boot from the disc.

The recovery definitely isn't working because it is still stuck on the blue screen with designs for the past hour or so without any username box popping up.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:33 AM

When you go to boot from this disc you may need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order and the hdd second.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 jmix216

jmix216
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

When you go to boot from this disc you may need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order and the hdd second.

Yes, it is set-up this way, the recovery is booting from disc, but after I get to the select keyboard method input, I select the proper method, then it hangs on the blue screen with designs and no username/administrator box pops up for me to continue.

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

Hi

Please follow the below steps to run the diagnostic test. I strongly suggest verifying the health status of the HDD before re-installing OS. 

:step1: Download Seatool for DOS from the below link.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

:step2: Burn the ISO to a blank CD using Imgburn.

http://www.imgburn.com/?act=download

:step3: Boot from the CD and run a long test with it. If Seatool reports that it can't find any hard dives, change SATA option from AHCI to IDE in BIOS.

seatools-2.png

Report your findings in next reply. If Seatool finds any errors, it may offer to repair them. Skip the repairs and report here immediately.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 02 August 2013 - 12:04 PM.

#9 jmix216

jmix216
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

Hi

Please follow the below steps to run the diagnostic test. I strongly suggest verifying the health status of the HDD before re-installing OS. 

:step1: Download Seatool for DOS from the below link.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

:step2: Burn the ISO to a blank CD using Imgburn.

http://www.imgburn.com/?act=download

:step3: Boot from the CD and run a long test with it. If Seatool reports that it can't find any hard dives, change SATA option from AHCI to IDE in BIOS.

seatools-2.png

Report your findings in next reply. If Seatool finds any errors, it may offer to repair them. Skip the repairs and report here immediately.

OK, running long test now has located 1 error so far at 6% complete.  Are you sure I shouldn't let this prog fix the errors when its finished?

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

Hi

Let the Seatool to finish the scan (100 % ). Even if there is only one error is detected, my suggestion is to replace the drive.  Bad sectors are physical damages happened to the disk surface. Even one bad sector means the drive is clearly failing. If you want, you can do the repair function at the end of scan but a repaired drive won't be reliable for data storage (i have enough personal experience with hard drives ).  Bad sectors may appear in the neighbor sectors within a short period of time which may potentially endanger the data stored on the drive .  

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 02 August 2013 - 12:56 PM.

#11 jmix216

jmix216
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

Hi

Let the Seatool to finish the scan (100 % ). Even if there is only one error is detected, my suggestion is to replace the drive.  Bad sectors are physical damages happened to the disk surface. Even one bad sector means the drive is clearly failing. If you want, you can do the repair function at the end of scan but a repaired drive won't be reliable for data storage (i have enough personal experience with hard drives ).  Bad sectors may appear in the neighbor sectors within a short period of time which may potentially endanger the data stored on the drive .  

I'm going to let it finish, at 50% and still only 1 error.  I'm going to let it repair itself so that I can at least recover documents and transfer them to an external HD before replacing the HD with a new one.  Luckily I have a full copy of Windows 7 now on disc and have HP mailing me recovery discs in case this happens again.  

Now after I let seagate repair its error, lets say windows still doesn't boot up right, should I try using the Windows 7 disc for repair?  

Or should I just go purchase a new HD, install it and then install Windows 7 again?

#12 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

Hi

You can use the Windows 7 disc to run check disk or automatic repair. This will probably fix the file system damage done by the bad sector. 

Try the startup repair option from the install DVD first. You may need to run it multiple times to fix all problems.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/windows-7-startup-repair.htm

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html?ltr=S

If nothing works and you decides to restore the OS using the recovery discs, backup your data using a live Linux distro like Puppy.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

By booting from Puppy, you can access the partitions and copy all necessary data to an external drive.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 02 August 2013 - 01:55 PM.

#13 jmix216

jmix216
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:06 PM

Believe it or not, Seagate repaired the one error and I am back up and running full steam.  I am backing up everything in general now and doing scan disk checks.  Then i'm going to do a defrag and see how long it lasts before I have any other problems.  So far, so good.  I thank you for all of your help!

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

I would look in the BIOS to make sure S.M.A.R.T. in enabled.  This will at least give you some notice if the hdd starts heading south.

#15 jmix216

jmix216
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

Yes, SMART is enabled, and that's whats crazy...it passed all of the SMART diagnostics when I began my trouble shooting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users