Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Failing ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

Hi,

Recently my pc performance went down to a state were data transfers from the hard drive to an external via USB became ~3.3mb/s. Before it was about 30mb/s. Another thing is that it freezes for a second or two for no reason ( even a right click would give me the loading cursor). I usually turn off my pc by putting it to hibernating and sometimes it took more than 20mins to turn off entirely where as before in less than 5 minutes it would turn off if no heavy programs are left running.

The slow transfer speed was not always the same during the past week, it was like random. (One transfer it shows 3.3mb/s and when another transfer is started it may go up to 20mb/s or more)

During this time I thought it was a virus, got fed up of the little freezing times and made a format (install a fresh OS), actually tried to. During the expanding files step while installing windows 7 it took about 2 hours to reach 75% and then I turned it off.

Yesterday I formatted my laptop ( which I'm currently on) and in 15mins all the steps were done in the installation of win 7.

Today I tried reinstalling win 7 on the "failing" hard drive but on another pc. The same thing happened, it took about 15 min to reach 28% and another 5 min to start from 0% to 1%. During this try I noticed that the DVD Drive was slowing down after a few seconds, like its waiting for the hard drive to process the previously fetched data. The LED on the case which shows the hard drive usage was being switching on and off repeatedly.

I know all of this leads to a failing hard drive but I want to read your suggestions to be sure.

The drive is a Samsung HD103SJ 1TB / 7200rpm / 32MB cache

This drive is 3 years old and when I bought it, it started showing errors to make a backup because it is failing. I went back to the shop and they gave me a new one which showed the same errors, and kept showing them all these 3 years.

Mother board : Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Darren

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

Hi

I suggest running manufacturer's diagnostic tool to verify the health status of your hard drive. Since Samsung hard drive unit is owned by Seagate, you should use Seatool for DOS to test the drive.

:step1: Download Seatool for DOS from the below link.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

:step2: Burn the ISO to a blank CD using Imgburn.

http://www.imgburn.com/?act=download

:step3: Boot from the CD and run a long test with it. If Seatool reports that it can't find any hard dives, change SATA option from AHCI to IDE in BIOS.

seatools-2.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

To confirm any fears/suspicions...simply run the long/extended diagnostic available in SeaTools for Windows .

User Guide, SetTools For Windows - http://www.seagate.com/files/staticfiles/support/downloads/seatools/docs/SeaTools%20for%20Windows.en-US.pdf

Louis

#4 Delta16

Delta16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

Yep, just ran both the short and the long and both said that the hard drive had failed :(

I guess I'll be buying a SSD :D 

Thanks for your help

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

Hi

Glad to be able to help but sad to know that the drive is failed . While purchasing a solid state drive, stay away from OCZ and Crucial brands. I recommend Intel SSD as they are pretty good. Intel also provides diagnostics tools which makes health testing a lot easier.

#6 Delta16

Delta16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

I was going to buy the Samsung 840 series 120GB. 

I have researched a bit and found a lot of good reviews on the previous model (830) and a few on the 840.

Any info which you may know about, please ?  :)

Thanks

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:23 PM

Hi

So far, Samsung seems to be good. There is also Seagate SSD which is also less problematic.

#8 Delta16

Delta16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:49 AM

OK, Thanks 

My local store doesn't have any Seagate SSD apart from the hybrid one (SSD, HDD) and I need the drives as soon as possible as the laptop throws too much heat, the keyboard becomes too hot while playing.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users