Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build- Error Power supply surges detected during the previous power on

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fireslate

fireslate

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:39 AM

Hey All.

This is my first Build which my friend help me get the parts. I put it together with him last night. After bringing it home and  having windows 7 installed I also installed Steam because I only made it for gaming. But 10-20 minutes after I start Counter Strike the system just shuts off with the same error (power supply surges detected during the previous power on) 

I researched a little bit on google and most of them point at the power supply or motherboard which are both brand new. Everything is on default. i haven't changed anything. Please help me find out the problem. i posted some pictures help show some info but if more is needed please do let me know. Several times now it won't show the message and just shut off so I wasn't able to get the error screen shot.

Please visit the link below for screen shots.

http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/knaderi102/library/NEW%20BUILD%20PROBLEM

Thanks you 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

Here is the obvious question:  What power supply?

If you are going to check voltages, best to do it with a fully loaded system, which is when it looks like the problem is occurring.  Oh, what video card?  I saw the CPU as a 3570, so I know the wattage on that.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 fireslate

fireslate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

All new egg links where the parts were bought from are below.

Power Suppy

Rosewill HIVE Series- 750 750Watts-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182133

Graphics Card-

ASUS GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814121775

Processor

Intel Core i5-3570K

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16819116504

Mother Board

ASUS Maximus V FORMULA

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813131854

Let me know if you need to know more. Thanks for the quick reply

Kamran

#4 fireslate

fireslate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

Can it be the cpu fan. A couple of friends are telling me the intel cpu fans are really horrible??

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

From what I can tell, advice on this is all over the place.  If you had a low end power supply, I would tell you to swap it out, but that Rosewill is a decent PSU.  Stuff I found:

Disable surge detection function in BIOS.

Check for BIOS updates.

Swap in known good PSU.

Try the forums at Asus.  This not an uncommon problem.

Wish I could be more help on this.

Edited by dpunisher, 02 August 2013 - 07:02 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 fireslate

fireslate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

Not the power supply because i switched it with a tested 750w and same problem. Alot of people are telling this problem can be fixed with just turning off Asus anti surge protection because it is supposedly very buggy. I can't not find any way to do it and cant seem to find a way on bios either. If someone knows how or where in bios to disable this feature let me know.

#7 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,065 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:50 AM

is there an unterrupted power supply (UPS....aka Battery) in this equation or is your system plugged straight into the wall socket?

I use just a cheap low-end 200 watt UPS and only plug my power supply into the backup battery side of it, everything else like monitors and speakers i plug into the non-battery side of the UPS for use as a surge protection. it is a must have for those of us that suffer power outages, even if just for a nanosecond. that is enough to trip off the power supply and cause a crash reboot scenario. if the PC is backed up by the UPS, the end user has  a shot at shutting down normally if the battery can last long enough and the power remains out.  Most of the time, my electricity would go out just for an instant, and that UPS saved me alot of heartache and crash reboots.  in the event the power remained out I would quickly switch the plug from my primary monitor into the battery side of the UPS to be able to see how to shut down properly.

most UPSs.have what is termed a "wiring fault" indicator light  that lights up if there is something wrong with the current feeding into it.

Have you checked the ASUS  forums about this topic as indicated above?

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#8 fireslate

fireslate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:56 AM

I actually fixed the problem by doing a hard reset by taking out the battery from the mother board and tured off the the anti power surge protection. What it was doing was turn off the system every time the graphics card try to get more power. It's the feature its very glitchy.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

Now that is interesting that the video card was the cause.

Thank You for reporting the cure for future reference

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 edguy89

edguy89

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

I've recently bought a Nzxt Hale82 650W and a Asus gtx 660 ti vga and had the same issue with the anti power surge system from asus. But after googling, i found that for this type of PSU's is preferable to connect them to the wall instead of an ups as it has a protection system themselves. That way you don't need to deactive the anti-surge system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users