Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with W7 on new HDD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jonoob

Jonoob

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

Hi, today I got a new HDD, I cloned my old one to the new one and set it to boot from that, the problem is that all my desktop and start menu shortcuts are linked to the C: (old HDD) when I want them to be linked with the D: (new HDD), Also just out of curiosity I disconnected my old HDD and booted from my new one and it only showed a plain background with no icons and only my mouse visible. will i have to manually set the properties of each program to D: or is there a better alternative, thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

Please...provide some details of your "cloning procedures".

If you had truly cloned the drive...you would have an exact duplicate of drive you attempted to clone...boot files, system files, anything that was on that drive...would be duplicated...on the second drive.

This all assumes that the "old drive" was without any impairment...ditto for the file system/partition structure.

Louis

#3 Jonoob

Jonoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:39 PM

I used the program Acronis Migrate Easy to clone the HDD

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

Why did you switch drives...what reason for the change to a different drive, please?

What problems, if any, were you having?

Louis

#5 Judith1314

Judith1314

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

As Louis said, did you copy all the files from old HDD to the new one, like boot files, system files, etc.  Some of files are very important for normally booting on the second drive.Please check! Thanks!

Judith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users