Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No start button and desktop icons after reboot.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AZrox

AZrox

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

Hello all,

After start up there is no start button or desktop icons.  All that appears is the desktop backgorund.  I have not tried safe mode yet.  Assuming everthing will appear in safe mode, what would be the next course of action? I have XP home edition.

Thx much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

Don't assume...boot into safe mode, please...and find out :).

Louis

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

Hello, try booting to Safe Mode with Networking to see if you can do this.
or try running it from a USB drive.

Click on the link below:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Scroll down to #195 and on the Right side side.
Click on "Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar".
Run the application and reboot.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 AZrox

AZrox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

I rebooted in safe mode w/ networking and signed in as owner. I tried opening up a browser and the.computer reboot. I allowed the comp to boot and normal mode. The start button and icons appeared for a few seconds and disappeared. Weird! What next?

#5 AZrox

AZrox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

I rebooted in safe mode with networking and logged as admin.  This time I opened an IE browser and was able to log into bleepingcomputer.com.  Last time I tried firefox.  I'm don't feel to warm and fuzzy about making changes to the registry.  Louis do you agree with boopme?

Thanks again!

#6 AZrox

AZrox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

I have read in the past on this site that registry cleaners/optimizers are not recommened by Bleeping Computer for a multiple of reasons.  If this link is a cleaner or optimizer I will not run it.  Are there any other suggestions? Worst case scenario I will reformat and reinstall Windows.

Thx!

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:44 AM

This download is not a registry cleaner or optimizer.  Boopme is very knowledgeabe and would not request you to do anything which would be potentially dangerous to your computer.  The fixes provided at Kelly's corner are used very often without any problems as a result.  I would suggest doing what Boopme has suggested, unless you want to reinstall the operating system and lose all of you data, pictures, documents, e-mail,etc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 AZrox

AZrox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

Hello, I ran 195 registry and reboot in normal mode. Same problem as before start up button and desk tops icons appeared for a matter of seconds and disappeared. Any alternative options?

Thx

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:08 PM

Lets see if you have a corrupt file.

Please run SFC (System File Checker)
Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see [url="http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43051.html"]How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files
NOTE for Vista/WIN 7 users..The command needs to be run from an [url="http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial167.html"]Elevated Command Prompt.Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'
You will need your operating system CD handy.
Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC
Then click File.. then New Task(Run)
In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /
Click OK
Let it run and insert the CD when asked.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 AZrox

AZrox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

Suddenly the start button and desktop icons are appearing after startup. Problem solved.  Great work guys!

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

You're welcome from us all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users