Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broadband modems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Freespirit715

Freespirit715

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

Probably a really dumb question on such a site, but I received another desk top computer from a friend and was wondering if I could hook it up to my modem with an ethernet cable and get internet connection while still having my main desk top also hooked in. I'm using a Hitronics broadband modem with four ethernet ports.  I just want to clean up the friends pc and re-install the OS and a few other programs before giving it to a needy person or someone who could really use it. If I do this, and it is possible, what should I be careful of? I don't want to blow up my own pc, nor do I want to disconnect my own as it is too much aggravation. Thank you in advance for any response and help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

Yep - no problem whatsoever, that's why you have four ethernet ports. It doesn't even matter which one of them you use.

So long as the computer you are working on is in working order there is no risk to either your modem or to any other computers connected to the modem. I can imagine fault conditions which could have an impact on your modem but these would be such that the computer would not be working at all, so just satisfy yourself that it is working in some fashion - not neccessarily very well, you said you intend cleaning it up etc. -  before you connect it.

The only thing you may note is that if you are downloading a substantial quantity of data to this computer, the download rate to your own computer will drop. This is because your connection rate is divided by the number of connected computers.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users