Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help connecting to the internet?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Binyamen

Binyamen

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:38 AM

Hmmm so basically my internet is not working even though it says its connected.....im pretty sure ive did something wrong though, just dont know what to do instead.

Ive got a belkin USB adapter, a belkin wireless router and a netgear wireless router.

The netgear router is whats providing my internet and is connected through cable but provides wireless. The belkin usb and router are attached to my computer.

I want to use my belkin wireless router like a reciever to my netgear. Here is how i connected it.

Before: Belkin USB and netgear wireless router. Simply, usb to my computer and when i check my available wireless networks i can recieve it from the netgear router

After: Belkin Usb attached to my computer, belkin wifi router connected to my computer (and not anything else) through cable. Now i can recieve both netgear and belkin signals on my available wireless networks. I connect to my belkin and it says i am connected but im not recieving any internet, (even on the belkin router the internet symbol isnt glowing blue but the wireless and router signal are).

Anyone know whats wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:45 AM

I am a bit confused on your set up. You should have a modem of some kind from your ISP (internet service provider), and this should be directly connected to your wireless router. Once that is connected and set up, you should then be able to use the USB adapter to receive your wireless signal, you should not need to have a second router at all. Can you explain what the need for the second router is please? It is possible I am missing the reason for this.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:53 AM

I want to use my belkin wireless router like a reciever to my netgear.

I agree with jkostar on this matter. Not unless of what you meant a receiver (wireless router repeater) to extend the range signal broadcast.

Tekken

#4 Binyamen

Binyamen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:55 AM

Ok, um as jhayz said i think that wirelss router repeater is the correct word i should be using for my 2nd router (belkin)

and as for a modem, i think the netgear router works as one. it is connected through a ethernet cable into the 'wall' (which has a socket that provides my internet) and straight away broadcasts a signal which my usb picks up. I need a bettr signal so is there anyway to use my old spare router as a reciever (instead of the usb) or a repeater to transmit a better signal?

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:30 AM

Please post the complete Belkin router model next time as this would depend on the wireless mode feature of the router to change to wireless bridge/repeater mode. An Article of a particular Belkin router used to extend wifi signal. See also dd-wrt supported belkin router list.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users