Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low resolution on new pc

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 EldarionGil

EldarionGil

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:01 AM

I just got this

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8700/pd?~ck=mn

The middle one currently 799 with the options unchanged.

I added another hard drive, from my pc that just died, and 8 more gigs of ram.  Day one I wasn't able to get a picture.  I was using the rgb adapter and thought maybe that might be the problem.  I ordered an hdmi cable and was able to get something and enter bios but the screen was glitchy and weird.  Open the machine up again tried to make sure everything was in and not loose.  Computer managed to start but very glitchy screen flickering on and off and colors changing.  Once windows started (i hate everything about windows 8 so far and want it to die btw) I tried to change the resolution and brought it down to 1024/768 and then it looks kind of normal now.  This resolution seems to work.  But there is still some occasional glitchyness lines or dots.  But I want to use 1920/1080.  I don't know whats wrong.  I kind of don't want to believe that its a hardware limitation.  Am I missing a driver? It seems to be installed and I tried installing something but that didn't seem to work.  Is this because I'm using an hdmi cable?  I just got done trying to fix my last computer and ultimately giving up, then got this an having nothing but problem again.  Very frustrating any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:39 PM

Hi, The first thing I would do get a hold of Dell for support and let them make sure you are connected properly and that there is no hardware problems. You should not have to load anything to use the computer. It comes preloaded with Windows and all drivers installed.

The next step is to follow our tutorial  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-menu-in-windows-8-with-classic-shell/

Windows 8 no longer includes the traditional Start Menu that Windows users have become associated with using. Instead they replaced it with a new interface called the Windows Start Screen that many people find to be not as intuitive as the traditional Start Menu. This is especially the case if you are not using a touch screen. With this in mind, a free program called Classic Shell has been updated to support the ability to add a Start Menu to Windows 8.

I installed it on the computer I'm typing this on and the Windows 8 on this computer now works more like Windows 7 as far as the interface.

It works pretty good.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users