Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan/backdoor question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chemio

Chemio

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:40 AM

About three days ago norton told me I had received a backdoor.graybird from a download, With this, I disconnected from my wifi and tried to resolve the problem. Norton told me it had quarantined and removed, but I was still paranoid and ended up downloading a few AV and AT programs. Later, I installed a program called ewido and told me I had spyware.yandez and spyware.Baidu. I googled these spywares and ended up completely doing a factory restore, but now my question is do these spyware reinstall or stay on the computer? I opted into not saving anything, at all, so am I safe from these spywares? Being all paranoid I would appreciate an answer. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chemio

Chemio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

Someone please respond

#3 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:47 AM

Hello Chemio

By doing a factory restore you put the computer back to the way it was when it left the factory. So yes these things were removed.

Gringo
I Close My Topics If You Have Not Replied In 5 Days If You Will Be Longer Please Let Me Know

If I Have Not Replied To One Of My Topics In 48 Hrs Please Bump The Topic

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show your appreciation or to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here -->btn_donate_SM.gif<-- Don't worry every little bit helps.

Proud Graduate Of Malware Removal University

#4 Chemio

Chemio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:54 AM

Thanks for responding Gringo, it helped me for a while but I forgot to note that those spywares were registry entries. Upon restoring, ewido, the only program that found them, said they were there again. Now either my recovery system was compromised or this is a false positive.

Entries were found in HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Internet explorer/Extension compatability.

Are they false positives?

#5 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:49 AM

Hello

Can you show me the link where you downloaded this Program? If it is the program I am thinking of it has not been updated in a while

Gringo
I Close My Topics If You Have Not Replied In 5 Days If You Will Be Longer Please Let Me Know

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show your appreciation or to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here -->btn_donate_SM.gif<-- Don't worry every little bit helps.

#6 Chemio

Chemio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:13 AM

http://www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antispyware/668/

Has it not been updated?

#7 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

Hello Chemio

The last time that was updated was in 2005 (8 years ago) - it is not trust worthy at this time due to its age.

If this is the only program that is giving any type of indication that there is a problem then I would not worry about

gringo

#8 Chemio

Chemio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

Alright, thanks gringo! Really appreciated

#9 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

you are more than welcome

gringo

#10 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:48 AM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users