Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware pop-ups

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 1943Mike

1943Mike

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:43 PM

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and not the most technically minded computer user in the world. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and use Vipre and Malwarebytes as my anti-virus and anti-malware software. I've started (as of today) getting very annoying pop-ups from MBAM saying that it "successfully blocked access to a potentially malicious website".

I ran Vipre and it quarantined several items: Win32.Generic!BT, Win32.Sirefef.ag (v), Win32.Sirefef (fs), and Win32.Zaccess.ca(v). I opted to delete all of them. I've run MBAM again and it did not show anything. However, the annoying pop-ups keep happening every minute or so.

Is there a way for me to stop this behavior? Can someone please speak to me without too much technical jargon (my aged brain begins to melt down with terminology with which I'm not familiar).

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Edited by hamluis, 02 August 2013 - 03:15 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:22 AM

Hello Mike -

Please read Section G - IP Protection Module as your MBAM Pro is performing normally.
You can reset for Excluding certain IPs if you wish, but these Pop-ups are generally classified as "Bad Sites".

If you want more details, you can always get more specific details from posting at the Malwarebytes Forum -

Thank You -

#3 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:14 AM

if you are not visiting suspicious websites (torrent, shareware, hacking websites) I would be curious if you didn't get infected with something that your Antivirus / Malware solution didn't catch and that infection is trying to download more stuff that your antivirus recognizes.

I would probably empty out temporary internet files using 'disk cleanup' or 'CCleaner' to see if the messages stop.

If they continue then there might be something on your computer reaching out to bad websites.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 02 August 2013 - 01:15 AM.

#4 1943Mike

1943Mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:49 AM

Aussie Addict and AngryRaisin,

Thanks very much to both of you for your help.

I read Section G - IP Protection Module as you (Aussie Addict) suggested. I also ran both my disk cleanup and CCleaner ( as you, AngryRaisin, suggested) to see if that would stop the pop-ups. Unfortunately it did not stop them. I keep getting the pop-ups every few moments nearly continuously - without any browser open.

I may disable the pop-up balloons (not the actual protection) but I'd feel much more comfortable finding out what, on my computer, is trying to contact malicious websites. Any suggestions as to how I might go about finding the culprit and destroying (deleting) it?

Mike

#5 1943Mike

1943Mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

Just an update on the problem I was having.

I read somewhere on the Internet (visited so many sites I've forgotten where I found this info :) ) where someone had run HitmanPro and it seemed to get rid of the infection(s). I followed that lead, ran HitmanPro (I have it on my computer where I'll be able to delete bad stuff for 30 days after which it'll run a scan but not eliminate the viruses unless I pay for it) and it seems to have eliminated my problem. No more pop-ups. It identified and got rid of several (at least 7) infections that my Vipre and Malwarebytes were not able to find :thumbsup: . I may end up paying for it - it seems like a really good alternate/additional anti-malware program.

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users