Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Enable File and Printer Sharing Windows Vista 32

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 craigsiegel

craigsiegel

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

OK, I have read forum and support posts until I am tearing my hair out. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 (32-bit) with Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials. My problem is that somewhere along the line, my home network stopped allowing me to share files and my one printer. Each computer can reach the internet on its own, but they cannot share anything. I am thinking that sharing has not worked since I contracted and removed a nasty virus some months ago.

I tried enabling file sharing and printer sharing on the Vista computer (where the printer is) in Network and Sharing Center. But when I click on the button to turn on printer sharing, or file sharing, or anything else there and hit Apply, absolutely nothing happens. After reading some posts I tried to enable exceptions for sharing in Windows Firewall, but when I bring up the exceptions window I don't see anything except two Skype entries. I added exceptions there for Ports 137, 138, 139 and 445 per another post, but that hasn't helped either. I have also checked my services and BFE and MpsSvc are running.

Now what? Anybody have a suggestion?

Here is my setup: Gateway Desktop PC running Vista Home Premium 32-bit. It has Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials running. It is Ethernet wired into an Actiontec PK5000 wireless DSL gateway modem. The printer is connected to the desktop PC via USB. Windows Vista Defender and User Account Control are turned off. It has only one user and it has administrator rights. The home network is set up as Private. The second computer is an HP 2000 laptop running Windows 8 and connected over wireless to the modem. It is running Windows Firewall and the Windows 8 Defender. It has only one user and it has administrator rights.

In browsing through the many support forums, I came across one -- don't remember which -- that related a similar problem and the resolution said that sharedaccess.reg was missing, but didn't say how he got it fixed.

I ran a FABAR scan for Internet and Firewall and the result is below. Sure enough, there appears to be a problem with the sharedaccess service and the iphlpsvc registry key.

HELP!

Farbar Service Scanner Version: 26-07-2013
Ran by Craig and Susan (administrator) on 01-08-2013 at 19:08:22
Running from "C:\Users\Craig and Susan\Installation Files"
Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium  Service Pack 2 (X86)
Boot Mode: Normal

Internet Services:
============

Connection Status:
==============
Localhost is accessible.
LAN connected.
Google IP is accessible.
Google.com is accessible.
Yahoo.com is accessible.

Windows Firewall:
=============

Firewall Disabled Policy:
==================

Other Services:
==============
Checking Start type of SharedAccess: ATTENTION!=====> Unable to retrieve start type of SharedAccess. The value does not exist.
Checking ImagePath of SharedAccess: ATTENTION!=====> Unable to retrieve ImagePath of SharedAccess. The value does not exist.
Checking ServiceDll of SharedAccess: ATTENTION!=====> Unable to retrieve ServiceDll of SharedAccess. The value does not exist.
Checking Start type of iphlpsvc: ATTENTION!=====> Unable to open iphlpsvc registry key. The service key does not exist.
Checking ImagePath of iphlpsvc: ATTENTION!=====> Unable to open iphlpsvc registry key. The service key does not exist.
Checking ServiceDll of iphlpsvc: ATTENTION!=====> Unable to open iphlpsvc registry key. The service key does not exist.

File Check:
========
C:\Windows\system32\nsisvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\nsiproxy.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\dhcpcsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\afd.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\tdx.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\tcpip.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\dnsrslvr.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\mpssvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\bfe.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\mpsdrv.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\ipnathlp.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\iphlpsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\system32\rpcss.dll => MD5 is legit

**** End of log ****

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:08 AM

Hello -

First - Download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE
* Save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: If a security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Next - Please visit This Page from Expert Broni, that has some specific directions for - 

"Unable to open iphlpsvc registry key".

Thank You -

#3 craigsiegel

craigsiegel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

Thanks. Here are the results of the security check scan.

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.71  
 Windows Vista Service Pack 2 x86 (UAC is disabled!)  
 Internet Explorer 9  
 Internet Explorer 8  
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:`````````````` 
 Windows Security Center service is not running! This report may not be accurate! 
 Windows Firewall Enabled!  
Microsoft Security Essentials   
  (On Access scanning disabled!) 
 Error obtaining update status for antivirus!  
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:````````` 
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300  
 CCleaner     
 Java™ 6 Update 13  
 Java™ 6 Update 7  
 Java version out of Date! 
 Adobe Flash Player 11.7.700.224  
 Adobe Reader 9 Adobe Reader out of Date! 
 Mozilla Firefox (22.0) 
 Google Chrome 28.0.1500.72  
 Google Chrome 28.0.1500.95  
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````  
 Microsoft Security Essentials MSMpEng.exe 
 Microsoft Security Essentials msseces.exe 
`````````````````System Health check````````````````` 
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 0 % 
````````````````````End of Log`````````````````````` 

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

A few observations -

Java™ 6 Update 13 
 Java™ 6 Update 7
  Java out of Date! If you keep Java then Version7 Update25 is all you should have
Please delete all others, and do not accept any Add-ons offered with the Java download.

Adobe Reader 9 Adobe Reader out of Date! Reader is now Version 11
Delete all old versions, and do not accept any Add-ons with the new download.

Microsoft Security Essentials   (On Access scanning disabled!) <=
Open MSE and under Settings, open Realtime Protection, and make sure the box is ticked.

Thanks -

#5 craigsiegel

craigsiegel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

Hm, not sure how real time scanning got disabled. I will certainly enable that and take care of Java.

And I have fixed the sharing problem. Found a fix for sharedaccess.reg and iphlpsvc.reg and installed them and.....voila!

Thanks for your assistance.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

You were welcome to any help we may have provided -

Please call back if we can help again --   :hello:

#7 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

Hm, not sure how real time scanning got disabled. I will certainly enable that and take care of Java.

And I have fixed the sharing problem. Found a fix for sharedaccess.reg and iphlpsvc.reg and installed them and.....voila!

Thanks for your assistance.

it would probably be helpful to others is you posted the fixes you used for sharedaccess.reg and iphlpsvc.reg and how you diagnosed the problems.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users