Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My name is Richard and I don't like Windows 8

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 lostsoul65

lostsoul65

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

How can I make my Windows 8 look more like windows 7? Is there a program to get rid of Norton so I can put in Windows Live so I can have Windows Live Mail? Should I update to Windows 8.1 and if so how?
Thank You
Richard

Edit: Moved to Win 8 ~~ boopme

Edited by boopme, 01 August 2013 - 07:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:25 AM

Hi

:welcome: to the Bleeping Computer forum.

:step1: To remove Norton, please download and run the official removal tool from the below link.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/in/home/current/solutions/kb20080828154508EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

After removing Norton, enable Windows defender which is the equelant to MSE in Windows 8.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/21962-windows-defender-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

I also recommends installing Malwarebytes free as a second opinion malware scanner.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

:step2: There are both free and commercial tools avalable to bring the start menu back in Windows 8. I highly recommends the commercial software Startisback.

http://www.startisback.com/

It is only costs 3 USD for two PC license. It works very well for me.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:57 AM

How can I make my Windows 8 look more like windows 7? 

One thing you can do is to download and install the Windows 8 Start button.

Restore Your Start Button on Windows 8 - Free and Easy to Use Tool

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 lostsoul65

lostsoul65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:04 PM

How can I download windows live essentials? There are so many pop ups that I can't even get to the download page. How can I get rid of the pops up? When I go to Windows 8 Start button I get a message wanting my name and password and then another pop up that block the download page

Edited by lostsoul65, 02 August 2013 - 09:26 PM.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:19 PM

Hi

Here is the direct download link to "Windows live Essentials".

http://g.live.com/1rewlive5-all/en/wlsetup-all.exe??WLXID=9dd77a15-9b1c-4257-ad66-6e722f838176&RID=002eef49bcf&TID=1375503515921&lid=

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

Try booting into Safe Mode with Networking.  You can download from there.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

How can I download windows live essentials? There are so many pop ups that I can't even get to the download page. How can I get rid of the pops up? When I go to Windows 8 Start button I get a message wanting my name and password and then another pop up that block the download page

Sounds like malware to me.

Try booting into Safe Mode with Networking.  You can download from there.

Is that good advice? Just wondering if there's some particular reason you'd want to ignore all the popups. i think there's an elephant in the room and you're not seeing it. I think lostsoul65 needs some malware assistance.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:16 AM

Is that good advice? Just wondering if there's some particular reason you'd want to ignore all the popups. i think there's an elephant in the room and you're not seeing it. I think lostsoul65 needs some malware assistance.

You need to address this question to Anshad Edavana since this was their suggestion.  I was only trying to help facilitate the download.  But now that you ask... yes I do believe this is a good approach to this issue.  A very large portion of what is addressed at Bleeping Computer is treating infected computers, there is no elephant involved in this process. :thumbup2: 

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:04 AM

Hi

The download link i posted is from a legitimate Microsoft server. There shouldn't be any popups in that links. 

#10 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

Hi

The download link i posted is from a legitimate Microsoft server. There shouldn't be any popups in that links. 

Hi

The link is certainly legit; the fact that lostsoul65 is experiencing so many popups that the Internet appears to be virtually unusable is really the significant issue here. I think that's a clear indication of a malware infection.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

From the initial post: "Edit: Moved to Win 8 ~~ boopme"

Seems to me that this topic was moved from Am I Infected to Win 8...based on the original questions/issues raised in that post.

At that time, these "popups" were not part of the query/stated issues.

Moving this topic to AII...will just result in clutter at that forum.

The OP should initiate a new topic in Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html to exlplore those issues, IMO.

To avoid confusion, this topic is now closed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users