Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

On re-start up goes to boot menu

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewSe

AndrewSe

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

Hi

A relatively new lenovo G580 I had just installed java on it as it never had it on board so I decided to restart. After restarting the lenovo splash screen stayed a bit longer than usual then this white on black background message came up:

intel undi pxe 2.0

for atheros pcie ethernet controller v2.1.0.9

client mac addr: XXXXXXxxXx guid: xxxxx-xxxxxx-x-xxxxx-xxxx-x   DHCP ............|

The cursor at the end of the dots was spinning and moving along as if loading something up then it showed me another screen with 2 menu tabs 1) Boot menu and 2) App menu.

I don't know what has happened and what I need to do here. If I press esc then it just reboots with message above and back to the menu. Any ideas what it is telling me?

If I unplug ethernet it says check connections in the message above.

Update: I held the power button down and rebooted that way and it has started now but would like to know what this was either way.

THanks

Andrew

Edited by AndrewSe, 01 August 2013 - 03:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:45 AM

Looks to me a Network boot on BIOS was enabled based on the error message.

Tekken

#3 AndrewSe

AndrewSe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

Looks to me a Network boot on BIOS was enabled based on the error message.

What does that mean?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:16 PM

That means that the system sees the NiC as the bootable device, not the hard drive or the optical drive.

Many systems revert to this setting in the BIOS...when the CMOS battery needs to be replaced.  This reversion to a default boot-from-network setting is one of the indicators that the CMOS battery is going bad.

That PXE error is also an indicator, signaling an error when trying to boot from the network device.

Louis

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:20 AM

There is your answer, courtesy of sir Hamluis.:)

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users