Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel quick fill with frequently used words

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 panthersfan25

panthersfan25

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

Hello All,

I create a spreadsheet for a report that comes out twice a week, while the reports do differ slightly, I create a new page for each date, i.e. July 7th, July 10th, July 16th etc.  However, each time I create a new page the words I use on every page essentially, do not come up when I begin typing.  

I am wondering if there is a place to add frequently used words so that they will come up faster.  For example, I use Bradford, Summit, and Washington quite frequently.  I would like to just be able to type b-r-a-d and autofill come up with the rest, it would save a lot of time.  

I have thought about just making a template and then copying that for each date, but there is just enough differences that that will not save me any time.  

I am open to trying anything to speed up the process.

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:33 PM

What version of Excel are you using? Newer versions do this automatically.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

I have 2003, and if I remember correctly, it was the same for 97, the version I had before.

'Tools / Options / Edit / Enable AutoComplete for cell values ' 

While this certainly enables autocomplete, try it and see how you get on. I have it very definitely disabled because I found it was just a touch over-enthusistic !

A possible alternative, but I'm not sure that it would save you any time. How about a spreadsheet that has cells with the values you use frequently filled in and copy / paste into the report form ?

Chris Cosgrove

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

I have 2003, and if I remember correctly, it was the same for 97, the version I had before.

'Tools / Options / Edit / Enable AutoComplete for cell values ' 

While this certainly enables autocomplete, try it and see how you get on. I have it very definitely disabled because I found it was just a touch over-enthusistic !

A possible alternative, but I'm not sure that it would save you any time. How about a spreadsheet that has cells with the values you use frequently filled in and copy / paste into the report form ?

Chris Cosgrove

I believe Excel's auto-complete will only work with values/entries that are in the same column that you are typing in. In other words, if you are in column C, then it will only auto-complete items that are in other cells in column C. If there is nothing in that column, then auto-complete won't do anything.

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:00 PM

True. But if he wants "autocomplete" to do something other than that, he may have to write a batch file or an app for it.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:49 PM

True. But if he wants "autocomplete" to do something other than that, he may have to write a batch file or an app for it.

There are third party apps out there that would potentially already do it...I believe. I don't recall them off hand, but I remember reading reviews, etc about at least one such app in the past.

Here is an example:

http://www.phraseexpress.com

Note: I have never used this program and have not idea if it is any good or reputable.

Edited by smax013, 12 August 2013 - 10:54 PM.

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

I have Excel 2003.
I'd take a different path - use a list and then in the cells you can pick items from a list which can be on the same or another worksheet.
If you click Excel local Help, it's well described in a section called "Enter data in a cell from a list you specify"
This might help if you prebuild some pattern that includes cell validation.

#8 panthersfan25

panthersfan25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

Thanks for the responses, turning on Autocomplete did help, but when we switched the sheets, it wouldn't work the same.  Putting them at the bottom of the sheet in the right columns worked, as long as we don't have to print it out lol.  We are using Excel 2007.

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for the responses, turning on Autocomplete did help, but when we switched the sheets, it wouldn't work the same.  Putting them at the bottom of the sheet in the right columns worked, as long as we don't have to print it out lol.  We are using Excel 2007.

You should be able to set the "print area" so that the stuff at the bottom of the sheet would not print.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users