Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can C:\Windows\winsxs Be Cleaned-UP?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jp2code

jp2code

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

I'm finding that the winsxs file on machines that have run Windows 7 for a while gets very large.

In the screenshot below, it does not seem that big because that particular PC has a 700G hard drive.

I run WinDirStat on several PCs with 80G-250G HDD, and this folder will be taking up a substantial amount of space.

From what I understand, most of these files are uninstall information, HotFixes, and definition updates.

Short of formatting the drive again and reinstalling the OS, is there a safe way to purge these files?

hr5HfxM.png

Attached File  screenshot.png   440.46KB   1 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

No, there isn't a way to purge these files, and the Winsxs directory is not a big as it appears to be. Most of the files in WinSxS don't actually reside in WinSxs, rather they are symbolic links (alternative names) for files that exist elsewhere on the disk. Microsoft engineer Steven Sinofsky has written an article explaining the size of the WinSxS directory and how it can appear to consume many more GB than it actually does.

Edited by Andrew, 01 August 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#3 jp2code

jp2code
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:56 PM

So, when looking at a computer that shows a big red link on the C Drive filled capacity...

544x365px-LL-32f76caa_hdd.png

and WinDirStat shows that over half of the drive's contents are from the winsxs folder...

Any idea how I tell Windows 7 that it's all OK and that it can keep storing data somewhere?

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

I don't know if you can tell Windows that the files in WinSxS aren't actually there (because they are there, but they are also not there!) Looking at your WinDirStat screencaps, though, I would point out that the majority of the space being consumed appears to be in your C:\Users\ folder (4x bigger than WinSxS) and what are probably your C:\PageFile.sys and C:\Hiberfil.sys files (the two huge red rectangles).

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

Try running chkdsk /r on those partitions...it adjusts free space remaining.

Louis

#6 jp2code

jp2code
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:54 AM

I don't know if you can tell Windows that the files in WinSxS aren't actually there (because they are there, but they are also not there!) Looking at your WinDirStat screencaps, though, I would point out that the majority of the space being consumed appears to be in your C:\Users\ folder (4x bigger than WinSxS) and what are probably your C:\PageFile.sys and C:\Hiberfil.sys files (the two huge red rectangles).

FYI: The screenshot was just a reference pic from my work PC - not one of the PCs I'm having issues with.

Try running chkdsk /r on those partitions...it adjusts free space remaining.

Louis

I'll give that a shot today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users