Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD External HDD shows all folders in shortcut after installing a game..

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 WyntherSolstice

WyntherSolstice

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

Hello.. I'm new here and i've read a couple of threads regarding external hard drives especially those HDD that only shows shortcut folders in the root directory, got to mention a particular member named varunkr if im not mistaken.. Anyway, here is my problem.

I had this 1TB HDD of WD with 600GB of files, documents, pictures, movies and application programs essential for my field of work.. I do not usually pass this HDD for any reason other than copying new movies from my colleagues.. But due to curiosity and got a little bit interested, I copy a game from someone and included an application called Alcohol.. After the copying completed, this program Alcohol

was installed and made a  drive BD-ROM Drive: (F:)  (I had a drive BD-ROM Drive: (G:) first before the game itself to be mounted on the said program.. Everything went smooth, ejected the mount from drive F: and disconnected the HDD form my laptop and played the game.. After sometime, when I needed to open a program in my HDD all I see was a shortcut folders and all cannot be opened except the folder of Alcohol, all is indicated as Location: 683921 (F:) and two folders indicating Location: 683921 (H:) when I try to open a folder it only says The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'Apps.lnk' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and then try again. 

My first suspicion was a Trojan did this, so I scanned my laptop with AVG and Malwarebytes, and so indeed it is found in the program Alcohol. My antivirus had two choices for me to remove or to ignore, so I chose to remove but nothing happened.. And then I search for answers that might help me and I saw this thread mentioned above the name of the member and I had tried the recommendations to him by the admin since my case was almost similar to him but to no avail.. Hope someone can help me and be waiting for some answers.. Thanks

I' am still running the ESET Online Scanner and found one threat Win32/Adware.Yontoo.A application..

I dont know where this came from..wheew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users