Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer - no high RAM & CPU usage

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 raverrebel

raverrebel

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

Hi all,

following problem:

My computer is running very slow.  It happened suddenly from one day to another.

I checked for a virus or similar with Malwarebytes, Spybot Search & Destroy and AVG. Nothing was found (checked it by time to time with the new updates but the same result).

The Task Manager showed that only 1,5 of 4 GB RAM are used. The CPU is at nearly 0%. That seems not to be a problem.

But when I open the Ressource Manager it shows that my hard disk has 100% time with maximal activity without writing much (most of the time: nothing). While being inactive (I am doing nothing except viewing the Ressource Manager) there are some tasks which bother me (mainly svchost local service network restricted). Sometimes they go away and the computer is working properly, sometimes not. Another important point is that the answering time of the tasks who are doing smth with my hard disk are often over 5000 (the record was 16.000).

Even if my computer is working nearly properly (you can work but need to wait for each website 2 minutes and for a program to start nearly 5 minutes) you often see the "no response" (don't know how it is called in english, sorry for that!) at the upper window of the program.

I started this thread at first but it was advised to me that I post here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/500544/computer-running-slow-hard-disk-problem/

You have a number of svchost processes that could be related to your problems.  You also have uTorrent installed.

You have various errors citing AML, which has been linked to malware.

You have many critical updates missing.

Belarc Advisor only showed (only) two critical security updates, both concering Adobe Flash Player which I updated a few hours ago and is up to date! (I compared my version number with the one suggested to download).

So somehow it always shows these critical security updates..

Thanks in advance for help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GodfatherKing

GodfatherKing

• Members
  • 587 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

:welcome:

Let's have a look..

:step1:  Install and run MBAM

:step2:    Running TDSSKiller to obtain log

Note: Don't cure or delete a threat, but choose skip for all instead.

• Please download TDSSKiller from here and save it to your Desktop
  • Doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then click on Change parameters

tds2.jpg

• In the Additional options: Check Detect TDLFS file system
  • Click Start Scan and allow the scan process to run

tds4-1.jpg

• Choose for all threats to Skip for all of them.
  • Click Continue
  • Please post the TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt found in your root directory (typically c:\)

===================================================

:step2:  ESET Online Scanner

==================

Note: If your AV is blocking Eset online scanner, please temporarily disable your AV.

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan This process may may take several hours, that is normal.

• Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and » UNCHECK "Remove found threats" <== Important
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Copy and paste the information in your next reply. (If no malware was found you will not be presented with a log).
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.

===================================================

If you have received help from me and I don't have respond to you for almost >= 3 days, send me a Private Message.  :hello:

#3 raverrebel

raverrebel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

This is the result of the ESET Online Scanner.

Spoiler

Here is the mbam-log-2013-08-03 (01-28-35).txt of Malwarebytes. It is on german, but he didn't found anything, so I think it shouldn't be the problem.

Spoiler

And lastly here is the TDSSKiller.2.8.16.0_03.08.2013_09.26.21_log.txt

Spoiler

I am sorry, but I don't understand how to upload files here. If you want to, I can upload it at mediafire for example.

#4 GodfatherKing

GodfatherKing

• Members
  • 587 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:02 PM

:step1: Remove BrowserCompanion (Start > Control Panel > Add/remove programs)

:step2: Empty Java cache: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/plugin_cache.xml

If you have received help from me and I don't have respond to you for almost >= 3 days, send me a Private Message.  :hello:

#5 raverrebel

raverrebel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

1) BrowserCompanion doesn't show up there. I remember uninstalling it. Shall I just delete the remaining folder?

2) Done.

#6 GodfatherKing

GodfatherKing

• Members
  • 587 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

Yes you remove the remaining folder.

===

:step1: My advice is to keep your computer up to date with Windows Updates, Java and Adobe Reader and Flash Player.

:step2: Use WOT to inspect sites if they are safe or not :http://www.mywot.com/

:step3: A good working AntiVirus is also important. I personally advice Avast free or Avira. MSE it's detection is not so great.

:step4: Let's check how good your security is:

Download Security Check from here or here and save it to your Desktop.

• Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
  • Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

NOTE 1. If one of your security applications (e.g., third-party firewall) requests permission to allow DIG.EXE access the Internet, allow it to do so.
NOTE 2 SecurityCheck may produce some false warning(s), so leave the results reading to me.

Edited by GodfatherKing, 05 August 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#7 raverrebel

raverrebel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

1) I always try to do so.

2) Installed WOT and testing it in the near future.

3) I have AVG installed, but I will regularly check with Malwarebytes and other programs to undo possible infections.

4) I will do this tomorrow.

#8 raverrebel

raverrebel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:41 PM

4) Here it is:

Spoiler

#9 GodfatherKing

GodfatherKing

• Members
  • 587 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:25 AM

Looks good, no malware and good up-to-date.  :thumbup2:

===

Please run CrystalDiskInfo to check the harddisk.

1. Download CrystalDiskInfo Portable.

==> http://sourceforge.jp/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/43436/CrystalDiskInfo2_7_5b.zip/

2. Unpack the program on your desktop.

3. Run it and post a screenshot from the results.

#10 raverrebel

raverrebel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

Thanks!? :)

The result of CrystalDiskInfo goes together with the result of Speedfan which I posted earlier in the previous thread (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/500544/computer-running-slow-hard-disk-problem/).

Here is the "old" Speedfan result: http://www.hddstatus.com/hdrepshowreport.php?ReportCode=7224304&ReportVerification=626C94B9

Here is the CrystalDiskInfo result: http://i39.tinypic.com/11gsnev.jpg

Thx for your help!

#11 GodfatherKing

GodfatherKing

• Members
  • 587 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:09 AM

As you can see the program gives a warning and C5 and C6 are yellow. Please backup all your important stuff on your computer, because the program does indicate an issue with you hard drive. 

#12 raverrebel

raverrebel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:07 AM

At the moment he backups the rest of my files to an external hard drive. Any chance to repair the hard drive?

#13 GodfatherKing

GodfatherKing

• Members
  • 587 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:58 AM

You can make a new topic in the other forum category and refer to this topic. Because my knowledge of hardware isn't really good, I would recommend to make there a new topic. You may come back if hardware issue is resolved. They will also run some tests.

#14 raverrebel

raverrebel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:45 AM

Done, here is the link to the new topic:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/505054/hard-drive-current-pending-sector-offline-uncorrectable-sector-count/

I think this topic can be closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users