Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update won't run

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Deferr

Deferr

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

Hello,

I am unable to run Windows Update.  The error says that the services is not started.  I have fumble around and here is what I have tried so far (possibly incorrectly)

1. Restart windows update service

2. Run Microsoft fix tool

3. Did a virus scan with AVAST (said some files were corrupt.  No items found.)

4. Did a Malware Bytes scan.  Found 1 item and deleted.

Anyone willing to help walk me through this one?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

The first thing would to run System File Checker ( sfc /scannow ). You can do this by opening an elevated command prompt and Run As Administrator.

In the Command Prompt Window type the above and hit enter and allow it to run. It will attempt to repair any missing or corrupt files.

I would also run checkdisk. You can do this by again opening an elevated command prompt and Run As Administrator. In the Command Prompt Window

type chkdsk /r and then hit enter. It will ask if you want to schedule the service to run on next startup and click yes. Exit the program and restart and let

it to run. Once complete exit the program restart and try to run updates.

Regards..................

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

In addition to sikntired's suggestions please download and install Windows Repair (All in one) at this site.

To open the program click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png.

Click on All Programs.

Click on Windows Repair (All in one), this may be listed as Tweaking.com.

If you are running Windows Vista, 7, or 8 right click on Windows Repair (All in one)  and then click on Run as administrator.

Notice:  You will need to disable your antivirus in order to run this program, for this reason you should run this while off line.

Go to Step 2 and click on the Do it button to allow CheckDisk to run. 

windowsrepairstep2-1_zps08aed02b.png

Go to Step 3 and click on the Do it button to run System File Check.

windowsrepairstep3-1_zps935b7603.png

Go to Step 4 and click on the Create button under System Restore.

windowsrepairstept4-1_zpseb336401.png

Go to Start Repairs and click on the Start button.

Important: Do not make any changes to the check marks.

For those running Windows 8 please note that  Reset Registry Permissions is not checked by design.

When the page below opens click on the Start button.

windowsrepairstartrepairs-1_zpsa179850d.

Please copy and paste the Windows Repair Log in your next post.  This log (_windows_repair_log.txt) is located in the following folder:

*  64-bit systems file path - C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs

*  32-bit systems file path - C:\Program Files\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs

Copy the file path for your version of Windows (32-bit or 64-bit), click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png and paste it in the Search all programs and files box.

Click on Logs.

Click on _Windows_Repair_Logs.

Copy and paste this log in your next post. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Deferr

Deferr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

The first thing would to run System File Checker ( sfc /scannow ). You can do this by opening an elevated command prompt and Run As Administrator.

In the Command Prompt Window type the above and hit enter and allow it to run. It will attempt to repair any missing or corrupt files.

I would also run checkdisk. You can do this by again opening an elevated command prompt and Run As Administrator. In the Command Prompt Window

type chkdsk /r and then hit enter. It will ask if you want to schedule the service to run on next startup and click yes. Exit the program and restart and let

it to run. Once complete exit the program restart and try to run updates.

Regards..................

Did all this.  Still won't run.

In addition to sikntired's suggestions please download and install Windows Repair (All in one) at this site.

I will try this and report.

#5 Deferr

Deferr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

I ran Windows Repair (All in one) per the instructions.  Windows update still gives the same error.

Attached is the log file.

Attached Files

#6 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,087 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:18 PM

Have you had any problems in doing updates previously? Have you made any significant changes prior to this issue?

Sometimes an update gets corrupted and then Windows gets confused and thinks the service is no longer running.

You should also check and see if all third party drivers are up to date.

I know of problems with Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) which suppose to enhance the SATA disk performance and has been associated

with update errors if the drivers are not current.

#7 Deferr

Deferr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

Have you had any problems in doing updates previously? Have you made any significant changes prior to this issue?

Sometimes an update gets corrupted and then Windows gets confused and thinks the service is no longer running.

You should also check and see if all third party drivers are up to date.

I know of problems with Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) which suppose to enhance the SATA disk performance and has been associated

with update errors if the drivers are not current.

I haven't had any troubles updating that I am aware of.  Could I uninstall some updates and fix it?  Is there a better way?

#8 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,087 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

Can you double-check and see if Windows Update Service is enabled. Go to Start then type services.msc in search box then open services then

scroll down to Windows Update and make sure it is enabled and started (not manual).

Then I would go into Device Manager and check and see if all drivers are up to date.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,954 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:08 PM

Have you made any hardware changes such as replacing the hard drive?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 Deferr

Deferr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:04 PM

Can you double-check and see if Windows Update Service is enabled. Go to Start then type services.msc in search box then open services then

scroll down to Windows Update and make sure it is enabled and started (not manual).

Then I would go into Device Manager and check and see if all drivers are up to date.

Windows update service is started and set to automatic with delay.

Have you made any hardware changes such as replacing the hard drive?

I replaced the hard drive about 6 months ago.  I'm not sure if windows has updated since then.  When I look up the last update it shows that it has never been updated.  When I did the hard drive change I did a bit for bit copy using ubuntu on a usb stick.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,954 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:31 AM

If you replaced your hard drive, the issue with Windows update indicating services is not started may be related to Advanced Format drives, especially if the new drive was larger than the one it replaced.

Apparently this is a common and known issue...see this discussion topic.

#12 Deferr

Deferr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:24 AM

If you replaced your hard drive, the issue with Windows update indicating services is not started may be related to Advanced Format drives, especially if the new drive was larger than the one it replaced.

Apparently this is a common and known issue...see this discussion topic.

I tried installing the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver.  It wouldn't start the install.  I have attached the log file.  I'm unsure how to check and see what driver I need.

Attached Files

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,954 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:40 AM

What manufacturer built your computer? You may need to check with them to determine exactly what drivers you need.

Installing the drivers may require rebooting the computer several times before Windows recognizes them.

#14 Deferr

Deferr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:14 AM

What manufacturer built your computer? You may need to check with them to determine exactly what drivers you need.

Installing the drivers may require rebooting the computer several times before Windows recognizes them.

Dell build the computer.  From all of my Google research I think I have the correct drive (12.5.0.1066)

I just am unable to install.  I keep getting an error with the previously mentioned log file.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,954 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

You need to be sure about the exact drivers or they will not work. Check with Dell Support: Product Selection for drivers

If you can't find them or still are unsure, use Dell Chat Technical Support

Another avenue is to call Microsoft at (866) 234-6020 or 1-800-MICROSOFT (642-7676). The inability to perform Windows updates is an issue where you can receive free support from Microsoft. They should be able to assist you with identifying the required drivers.
Phone Numbers for Microsoft Technical Support
Microsoft Answer Desk phone support services

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users