Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which firewall is up? All or none?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 technickel

technickel

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:08 AM

I have Malewarebytes, McAfee, and Webroot installed on my Windows 7 PC. Could all these firewalls be working at the same time, or are they all compromised? If I must disable one or more for just one to be operational, which one(s)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:22 AM

Using more than one software firewall on a single computer is not advisable. Why? Using two firewalls could cause issues with connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior. Further, running multiple software firewalls can cause conflicts that are hard to identify and troubleshoot. Only one of the firewalls can receive the packets over the network and process them. Sometimes you may even have a conflict that causes neither firewall to protect your connection. However, you can use a hardware firewall (a router) and a software firewall (i.e. Kerio, ZoneAlarm, Comodo, etc) in conjunction.Choosing a Firewall <- I recommend Windows built-in Firewall so I would disable all others

BTW, Malwarebytes does not have a firewall.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

Hi technickel -
This is the current listings on 2 Webroot programs, please list your version.

Webroot Internet Security Essentials is an Antivirus, Antispyware, Personal firewall security software, and back-up utility program with additional personal and PC security features.

Webroot Internet Security Complete is a computer security software program for Microsoft Windows users that combine SaaS cloud protection with traditional antivirus and antispyware desktop technologies. Built into the suite is a two-way firewall, 10GB of online backup and file sharing capabilities, a registry cleaner, email antispam, secure browsing, anti-phishing and a password management service.

As you do not list the version of McAfee that you have mentioned, I am unable to compare these 2 programs.

Can you please list the specific versions of the programs that you have installed (mainly McAfee) -

Please see above for "general listings" about most firewalls from quietman7.

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users