Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Transfer from older Windows 7 Machine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:54 AM

I have a friend that purchased a new Dell Inspiron Laptop with Windows 7 installed.  For the past several years he has been backing up his old Windows 7 machine with a full backup.  He now wants me to do a restore from the backup to his new computer.

I don't think he can do this as I thinik the restore would also try to install system components from the older machine,

Can  he use the backup to "just" install all of his backed up documents, pictures, music, and videos.

I do know that there is a transfer cable that you can get to move everything from one computer to another.  I have used such cables with limited success.

Please let me know of any experiences that you have had.  It is certainly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

You could use an application like storagecraft shadowprotect, and do a HIR ( hardware independent restore) on the computer. This would install everything exactly the same as it was on his old pc, with little or no differences. That would need to be purchase, but you could always just use windows easy transfer, and reinstall the needed applications.

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

Hi

You can't legally transfer Windows installed on a machine to another. It is possible but the licence will be invalidated and you will need to purchase another valid licence and re-activate Windows.

I always prefer a clean install. You can easily transfer all of your data on to the new computer using the free tool Windows Easy Transfer.  

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer

It is very easy to use and self explanatory. The official download link i posted above even include a video tutorial.

#4 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

Anshad,

while that is correct, using a HIR with shadow protect will allow the install, you just need to then input your windows product key to re authenticate with Microsoft. I have done this many times with no issues re authenticating the windows install. Keep in mind that this application needs to be purchased, and a full backup of the old pc needs to be run first. With that said, personally, i would still recommend running windows easy transfer and reinstalling any needed applications, as any issues that may have been present on the old pc would be transferred to the new one as well. Easy transfer, as the name implies is very easy to use, and has few issues I have found. A HIR is a great tool, but not a free option in this case.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

Hi jkostar

There is a cost free way available to do the same thing. You can enter in to the audit mode  and run the Sysprep Generalize option. This will make an installed Windows 7 to boot to any system without issues. You simply need to activate Windows by entering the new key after that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users