Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What does a JScript Script File (.js) do and is it harmful to your computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bigbrown411

bigbrown411

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:14 AM

Just wondering what does it do and is it harmful in any ways to your computer health or personal files? Wasn't sure which section I should ask this question in.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

From Microsoft Technet:

JScript is the Microsoft implementation of the ECMA 262 language specification (ECMAScript Edition 3). With only a few minor exceptions (to maintain backwards compatibility),

JScript is a full implementation of the ECMA standard. This overview is intended to help you get started with JScript.

JScript is an interpreted, object-based scripting language. Although it has fewer capabilities than full-fledged object-oriented languages like C++, JScript is more than sufficiently powerful for its intended purposes.

Read more here : Click and Click

So, it is a "JavaScript" based on ECMAScript that use in internet browsers for using in websites, it can be call from any executable file (.exe) too.

And we all know that "scripts" can do harm to your computer. Mostly by malware or code exploit.(So this can be treated as dangerous one too.) Also if you are a website admin, please check code structure before use it, poorly made codes can make it easy to attack.

JScript is not a very easy thing to make but still chance, some worm use it to make a backdoor to HiJack mail server to spam mails. (Some can make 1000/hour.)

So, be careful at the script you got or made.

Thank you. Hope this helps!

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

Hi, If you use Firefox you can add in Noscript to disable javascript from http://noscript.net/ Some sites will not work or work poorly. If that happens then You can turn javascript back on temporarily.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 melen001

melen001

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 05:27 AM

I was always wondering what are J Scripts Scripts so now i understand. I should have known just with the J which is for Java Script. I discovered one day running Free Duplicate Cleaner that i had a few duplicate J Script Script files and not sure if i should remove them. By the way, should i remove them or not??? I've known that hackers use Java Script to develop malware but now i understand what it's real use is so thanks.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users