Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word Won't Open Files - Virus?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 treehouse

treehouse

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:05 PM

This is a re-post from the Windows XP forum...

Please help if you can...Word and other office apps won't "Save As" or "open" new files when you are in the applications. Microsoft's site says a number of security updates are what's causing the problem. I went to Control Panels and deleted those updates..and I was suspicious that they were there in the first place, because I didn't download them. Anyway, the problem is solved after removing those and restarting...but guess what, every time I restart after that, the updates are back. So obviously there is some kind of virus that keeps downloading these things. Thanks for your time. I have a Hijack This report if you need it.

--Dan at the Treehouse

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:44 PM

I don't know of a virus that would automatically download updates to Microsoft's software. Not to say there isn't one, but it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Do you have Service Pack 2 installed on this computer? Start > right click on My Computer > Properties
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 treehouse

treehouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for your response. Yes, Service Pack 2 is on this PC.
--Dan

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:00 AM

If you have Windows automatic update feature turned on, the settings may be configured to allow downloading in the background without you having to do anything. Thus you may not have realized this was happening.

To check your update settings go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Security Center and click on Automatic Updates to change Automatic update settings.

or hold down the WINKEY and press the PAUSE key to open-up System Properties and select the Automatic Updates Tab.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users