Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install windows 8 and remove Ubuntu 13.04

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OscarIGZ

OscarIGZ

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:30 AM

Hi I need help on restoring my computer back to windows 8. I'm new to this whole Ubuntu thing and decided to install it to give it a try. I installed through what I believe is called UEFI which is BIOS for newer computers. The installation went perfect but since it didn't give me an option to dual boot I decided to just accept formatting my disk without knowing it would completely delete everything. Ubuntu is currently running on my computer but I desperetaly need to go back to windows due to programs I need and to recover the files I deleted. I have windows 8 burned on a DVD but it won't read it on Ubuntu and I can't access it on BIOS since my computer doesn't have it. My computer is a Toshiba satellite p875-s7102 and it came with windows 8 pre installed. Sorry for the info not being too detailed it's just that I have no knowledge about it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:07 AM

If you installed Ubuntu over Windows 8 then it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to recover those deleted files. You could try 'testdisk' on a live Ubuntu DVD or USB stick/flash drive. Guide here: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

Did you install Ubuntu from a DVD or from a USB stick?

#3 OscarIGZ

OscarIGZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:13 AM

I installed it with a DVD.

#4 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:02 AM

I'm puzzled ..... Can you not boot in to the Windows DVD that you mention? You managed to boot in to the Ubuntu DVD to install it.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

There is also a good chance that the recovery partition for Windows 8 still exists. But, you would of needed to

of created a boot disk to access it.

But, like 1002 Richard S says, just boot into the Windows 8 DVD.....not while Ubuntu is running.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 OscarIGZ

OscarIGZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

Yeah I've tried booting into the disc but I don't know how. I guess my computer doesn't have the usual BIOS instead it has UEFI or EFI don't know whic

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:08 PM

Did you make this DVD yourself? Or did it come with your comp or did you purchase it?

You should be able to boot into it the same way you booted the Ubuntu dvd.

Do you see a boot screen during bootup where you can choose which drive to boot to?

Are you inserting the DVD while Ubuntu is running and shutting down the comp then attempting to

boot again?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users