Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a program to control all access to the Internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tdrolin

tdrolin

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:03 PM

We need some help, advice and recommendations of software to control Internet access in our home, not sure where to start. We have a teenager who stays up late, very late! It's summer now so not too much of a problem. School is coming and we want access to the Internet cut off at a certain time as well as the usual parental controls. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Not sure if this is the right place for this post but will start here!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:52 PM

Are you trying to block access on a computer you share or trying to block access from multiple devices? If you have a shared family computer with Windows 7 (possibly 8 as well) then you can assign your teenager his/her own account profile on the computer and then create a time frame that the account will be able to access the internet.

1.       Make sure you are logged in as the administrator of the computer.
2.       Press the Start and click Control Panel.
3.       Under User Accounts and Family Safety, click set up parental controls for any user.
4.    If prompted, type your password and select Continue.
5.    Click the account you want to add parental controls.
6.    Click on Time limits.
7.    Block out the time you don’t want the account to be able to login.
8.    Press Ok.

You've also got some built in parental controls. Search for How to use Windows Live Family Safety. Basically, it's free software that guides you through creating an account with additional controls and restrictions, the severity of which can be adjusted however you see fit. There are a lot of programs out there with ranging from simple controls to some that allow you to directly spy on your kids, which I think is terrifying. I'd try starting with Windows Live Family or K9 Web Protection. Both are free and when combined with the steps above you should be able to cover most of the features you'd need. 

#3 tdrolin

tdrolin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

This is a great help, I have messed around with these programs. But We have multiple devices that I need control access too, sorry wasn't clear on that and we are running windows 7

#4 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

When I first saw this topic I thought  you were interested in controlling everyones' access to the interwebs. But now I see you're only concerned about your immediate family. What a relief!

Edited by Bezukhov, 02 August 2013 - 07:21 AM.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

Ive used K9 before, very very solid software. Just keep in mind any filter can be beat, so its still best to keep an eye on the child in question. http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

Edited by the_patriot11, 02 August 2013 - 06:29 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

When I first saw this topic I thought  you were interested in controlling everyones' access to the interwebs. But now I see you're only concerned about your immediate family. What a relief!

OMG LOL.  @Bezukhov~thank you for making me wake up and laugh this morning.  can't even stop.  

#7 tdrolin

tdrolin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

Thanks everyone for the help I will keep you posted on how we make out! Going to try the k-9 software!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users