Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word Won't Open Files

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 treehouse

treehouse

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:56 PM

Please help if you can...Word and other office apps won't "Save As" or "open" new files when you are in the applications. Microsoft's site says a number of security updates are what's causing the problem. I went to Control Panels and deleted those updates..and I was suspicious that they were there in the first place, because I didn't download them. Anyway, the problem is solved after removing those and restarting...but guess what, every time I restart after that, the updates are back. So obviously there is some kind of virus that keeps downloading these things. Thanks for your time. I have a Hijack This report if you need it.
--Dan at the Treehouse

(Moderator edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 20 April 2006 - 08:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:21 PM

If your problem was/is the result of installed Microsoft Critical Updates you have poorly written and/or non-compliant code in other (non-Microsoft) aps on your computer, pirated aps, or do not have all the critical updates installed that you should have installed to protect the software on your computer from being made to run malicious code on your computer due to unpatched exploits.

It is really amazing to me that anyone who does not have both advanced degrees and practical knowledge as well as significant experience in operating system and application programming can believe they would be in a better position than Microsoft's programing experts and engineers to determine what Microsoft's operating systems or other programs need to keep them functional and free of exploits used by those miscreants who intentionally write malevolent or malicious code that takes advantage of discovered exploits in Microsoft (or other) software or to decide what should be downloaded to counter such malevolent code.

People who do not keep their computers fully updated to eliminate security exploits are complicit in the pandemic spread of malware because not only do they place their own computers at risk because of their ignorance, but enable the spread of malware through their computers to infect other internet citizens.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:25 PM

Hi Dan.
It would be counter productive for a virus to download Microsoft Updates, they're the "enemy" :thumbsup:
If you use the autoupdate's default setting, updates are downloaded and installed without requiring you to take any action at all. It certainly wouldn't hurt to post your HJT log over in the HJT forum though.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:08 PM

Excuse me but in my opinion I think that he might be infected and the only way to find out is to HJT.

Download Hijack This from Merjin
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Go to the following to post your log file and it will be analyzed by a qualified tech

HijackThis Logs and Analysis
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

You might have to wait for a bit for the results but they will be worth it.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:31 PM

the problem she is having is one of the problems with the latest Windows updates. All she has to do is stop Windows from reinstalling the updates by changing from automatic to prompt or manual. Malware is not causing the computer to reinstall updates. There are a lot of other problems with a lot of users of HP products and sites that use active X.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:38 PM

Well, If this is the latsest Windows Updates I actually have them all installed including the ones for Microsoft Office. I know I have a different computer than is being used from this person but everything works. I am also trying to take a different look at things and if the computer in question is infected running HJT might show something. It will not hurt anything to do this and it might prove to show something.

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:47 PM

Hello treehouse, Have you tried opening the files in another computer, in Wordpad, or another word type program like WordPerfect?

Try this do a search for the file - normal.dot and delete it. Then open word and give it a try. Deleting this file is ok and when you reboot Word, Word rebuilds the file. If it works and you can do your stuff I would suggest doing a hijackthis and sending it in to where I said in a past post but here it is again.

Download Hijack This from Merjin
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Go to the following to post your log file and it will be analyzed by a qualified tech

HijackThis Logs and Analysis
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:51 PM

This article is a couple of days old but will explain how the windows updates are affecting her computer.

http://www.securitypipeline.com/185303574;...BGCKH0CJUMEKJVN
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users