Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp Laptop Windows 8 logo shutoff crash.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shadyghost

shadyghost

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

Hey guys! Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me out with this.

I have a HP dv8t running windows 8. Recently reinstalled windows 8 after a year of solid performance and trying to get as far away from windows 8.1 as possible which I foolishly installed on my laptop I need for work. (driver issue after driver issue). I also upgraded my secondary hard drive. This ran great for a month.

Recently I have been having an issue that has thoroughly stumped me. Seemingly at random intervals my computer will fail to boot to windows by completely crashing at the logo screen. This is happening more frequently now. The screen will flash green and the computer will die.  No amount of powering it back on will resolve the issue but it will power on normally after I run a startup diagnostic test that the computer passes every time flawlessly.

I can even skip out after the memory test is finished and it will boot normally every single time, but if I skip out before the memory test it will fail to boot. There is no dump files I can find for this. And apparently my computer is unable to access the safe boot menu when its having the issue because I can mash whatever combination of key or keys one is supposed to mash to reach this fabled menu, to no avail.

I have tried to roll back my video drivers by completely removing them and installing earlier versions. This did not work. I can't disable fast startup for some reason so I cant check to see if that is causing this.

I have no idea how I can resolve this and it is extremely annoying to run a diagnostic test every time I need to use my computer as you can imagine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:14 AM

:welcome: to the Bleeping Computer forum.

From the detailed description you provided, my primary suspicion is a possibly failing hard drive which corrupting the file system frequently. Please follow the below steps to run built in diagnostic test .

:step1: Press F10 during power on to enter BIOS setup.

:step2: Use the arrow  keys to navigate and select the Diagnostics menu. There will be three tests named Hard disk self test , Secondary hard disk self test and Memory test. Please execute them one by one and report whether any errors are detected.

If you are in doubt, refer page 99 of the official service manual.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01910942.pdf

#3 shadyghost

shadyghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for replying Anshad. First things first, I am unable to get the computer to get to ANY menu other than pressing esc when the option presents itself. f10 does nothing. f8 does nothing. Shift (enter key here) does nothing. Delete does nothing. Second thing, the computer has passed every diagnostic test I have run since the problem presented itself. I should clarify a few things, my main hard drive is a SSD (under 100 gb) and my secondary is a 1tb 5400 drive. Also depending on how the computer boots, I am unable to even press esc to enter the one menu I can reach. Which is weird, and why I think this might have something to do with the quick start option????

I'm beginning to think this has something to do with how the computer shuts down. I have noticed shutting down the computer takes longer than usual, maybe 5-10 secs longer and the computer will blank screen, the sound will pop as the hardware is turned off (driver issue) then sit for a few seconds, then the hard drive will become active again and a few seconds later the computer will actually power down. This is unusual. It never did that prior to me reinstalling everything.

The interesting thing is of course I have not been able to replicate the issue since your reply so I can't verify anything different to how it shuts down when it fails to boot to windows. I'll keep trying. Thanks again.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

Hi

Windows 8 is a pain in the butt when it comes to troubleshooting. Accessing BIOS and Safe mode are so difficult in some Win 8 laptops. 

Since you have a SSD as the primary drive, first thing you should do is to check whether there is a firmware update available for that. Some brands like OCZ and Crucial are infamous for buggy firmwares which causes numerous issues. If you can post the exact model number of the SSD, i can help with that. 

#5 shadyghost

shadyghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:20 AM

Thanks! Ok a few developments. First my SSD is a Kingston SVP 100S296G. I troubleshooted the ram sticks just in case that was an issue and both 4gb sticks checked out fine. Right after I did that my computer went to sleep when I stepped away from it and I shut it down from the login screen instead of logging in and shutting down programs etc.

It blue screened (which is rare for my laptop) and then booted up fine. I do have the memory dump file. Right after that I discovered a thread about someone who had an issue similar that was missing HP's 3d Disk drive protection drivers. Lo and behold I was too and installed the drivers which got rid of the unknown device ! in device manager. I also disabled quick boot and sleep. I will continue to report back with any developments.

As far as reaching any bios menus I have only been able to do that through windows itself so any issues with windows booting Im screwed apparently. I can only access the diagnostic menu which doesn't give me access to anything other than testing the hard drives and memory. I guess am extremely lucky the memory scan allows it to boot for some reason.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

Hi

I checked in the Kingston site for firmware update but unfortunately there is no update available. They listed your model on the discontinued products list.

Please make sure Windows is configured to write small memory dumps in the event of a crash. This will make sure to create a crash dump when BSOD happens.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/174459-dump-files-configure-windows-create-bsod.html

Also update your chipset driver to the latest. This will make sure the SATA interface drivers are up to date.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20775/eng/infinst_autol.exe&lang=eng&Dwnldid=20775&ProductID=816&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Chipset+Software+Installation+Utility

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 01 August 2013 - 10:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users