Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smart status error on ASUS laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cdn36

cdn36

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

Hi everyone. I know close to nothing about laptops so thought I would ask your opinion. A couple of weeks ago I dropped my laptop (ASUS K53E) on the ground. When I restarted it, it would not load past the start up screen (kept looping back to it). A couple of days ago I finally got into system recovery and ran startup repair. Took two days and after it was complete it told me to back up and replace because the smart status has failed. What does this entail? If I buy a new hard drive, will my laptop work again? Or is this not guaranteed? Basically I just want to cover all of my bases before I pay for a new laptop. Losing my data is not a concern as I have most of my files backed up. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:07 PM

Get new hard drive, partition, format, reinstall OS.  That is the basics of it.

Dropping your lappy is tough on hard drives.  

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

If the S.M.A.R.T. fails this means the hdd is facing an iminate failure.  As dpunisher suggested, you will need to replace it.

That Notebook came with a recovery partition, so you don't have a disc to install the operating system, I'm assuming that your Notebook came with Windows 7 installed.  You can download a legal ISO copy here.

You will need to burn this to a DVD, you can do this with ImgBurn.

You can find a good tutorial for using ImgBurn here.

Once you have installed the operating system you will need to go to the ASUS website to download your drivers, I would suggest loading the chipset driver first.  The ISO file includes SP1, but you will need to get the important updates installed.

The last thing you will need to do is to activate the operating system through Microsoft.  You may need to speak to one of their reprisentetives  to accomplish this.  If this happens explain to them that the hdd died.

If you need further information we will be around.

Edited by dc3, 01 August 2013 - 01:07 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 cdn36

cdn36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

Thank you both!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users