Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

500 GB Hard Drive is only a 160 now?!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 superrr

superrr

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

So I wanted to transfer all of my things from my 160GB hard drive to a new hard drive that is 500GB, someone told me to use Macrium Reflect which would clone everything from my hard drive to the new one, which it did, but it also formatted it or something to where the Hard Drive that was supposed to have 500GB, now only has 160 like the one I was cloning?
How do I get my new hard drive back to 500GB, first off.
Second, if I can accomplish that, how do I transfer windows and all of my data to the new hard drive?

(I tried formatting the new hard drive, after it cloned, and it's still only 160)

Please, someone help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

What it has probably done is create a 160 GB partition on your new drive to exactly reflect the original one, and you will have another partition, or unpartitioned space, of about 350 GB.

As you don't say what operating system you are running, RIGHT click on the 'Start' button, then click on 'Explore' and see if you have an extra drive letter listed. if you do, this is probably where your missing gigabytes are. If you don't have an extra drive letter, then your missing space probably is not set as an active partition.

Click on 'Start', then RIGHT click on computer then click on 'Manage'. From the screen that then appears choose 'Stroage / Disk management' and you will see a picture of your drives which will show any space that is not actively partitioned. You can use this screen to set space to an active partition. Just be aware that the total space shown on this disk will be about 465 GB, not 500. This is because the gigabytes being measured are not quite the same! It's the difference between salesman's language and engineer's language.

You say you have formatted these 160 GB since you cloned it. In that case it might be worth your while to just set the whole disc to one maximum sized partition before you try cloning again. It may still give you one partition of 160GB, but that's where the rest will be.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

Partition magic 7 could easily solve this problem, but try following Mr. Cosgrove's advice. Should work.

Edited by JHMcG, 31 July 2013 - 07:19 PM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:37 PM

Since cloning is making an exact copy of a drive, this is usually what will occur with default settings. However there is generally an option available to utilize the entire available space on a destination drive - I don't use Macrium myself, but the Acronis I do use has this option available.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:03 PM

Partition magic 7 could easily solve this problem, but try following Mr. Cosgrove's advice. Should work.

Partition Magic 7? I'm thinking that before Symantec bought the company and rolled it into Drive Image and Norton Ghost, Partition Magic had topped out at Version 8 which was only XP compatible. I loved that software! Send me a link to get it!

Edited by slgrieb, 31 July 2013 - 11:06 PM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#6 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

Since cloning is making an exact copy of a drive, this is usually what will occur with default settings. However there is generally an option available to utilize the entire available space on a destination drive - I don't use Macrium myself, but the Acronis I do use has this option available.

In fact, the default settings for Acronis will autodetect your drives, find the likely source drive, destination drive, and re-size the partition automatically.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#7 superrr

superrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:00 AM

Hey, slgrieb, I trieed Acronis and it worked! I transferred all of my Windows settings and data to my new hard drive, with space left over like it's supposed to be.....

Now, one more question, how do I make it to where the clone of my hard drive (the 500GB one) is the Primary that windows runs off of?
Like where it boots from that one? Cause' I'm just going to use my old 160 as a storage unit.

Please, and hey, thank you for the advice.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:57 AM

In fact, the default settings for Acronis will autodetect your drives, find the likely source drive, destination drive, and re-size the partition automatically.

Ah good, I'm probably remembering the option to change the size of an image restore, it's a number of years since I cloned anything rather than restoring an image.

superrr, you choose the new boot drive from the Boot Device or Boot Order menu in the BIOS setup screen.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 superrr

superrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:41 AM

Sweet man, thank you! Thanks everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users