Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Win 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gyrene

gyrene

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:34 PM

New Gateway computer about 8 mo ago.  Takes forever to load anything, was lightning fast for the first couple months.  Windows 7 w/Pentium, Running Norton Anti Virus, SUPERantispyware and malwarebytes.  Do I need to get rid or one or more or is there some program I can get to find out why this computer is running so slow?  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,450 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

There is a very good tutorial pinned in the XP section on slow computers, and most of it applies to those running Win 7.

In general terms, slowness can be caused by malware, a hard drive that is getting full (less than 10 - 15% of free space) and an excess of temporary files.

The security software you list should not cause any conflict problems. I personally don't like Norton, but that is a purely personal opinion. The important thing is that it is up to date with its definitions. Is this a 'free' trial version that came with the computer or are you paying them good money for it ?  If you are paying them then you should be getting the updates. If you are still running a 'free' trial version I would recomend uninstalling it and replacing it with one of the free anti-virus programs like Avast. The same goes for Super A/S and Malwarebytes, except these are both free. I presume you are running scans with these from time to time, and updating the definition files each time you run them ?

Another program I like - also free ! - is Piriform's 'CCleaner' for getting rid of temporary files (www.piriform.com). Just two points with its use. On the second page, 'Applications', make sure the box against 'RegEdit' is unticked, and secondly, DON'T try to clean your registry.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 gyrene

gyrene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

HD is only 30% full and defragged regularly.  Norton is the version provided by Comcast, updated regularly and scan run weekly.  Super A/S and Malwarebytes are the "pro" versions under lifetime license.  Both are run weekly and updated daily.  CCleaner is installed and run weekly.  Sounds like I am doing things right to protect my computer.

Thanks for the response.

#4 vulcain

vulcain

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

Hello

This can slow down your PC, for example the use of toolbar.

cordidalement

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,450 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

Interesting. You shouldn't be having performance problems given the conditions inside your computer.

Vulcain has a point. an unneccessary profusion of toolbars in your browser(s) will slow them down, and may cause problems elsewhere - but this is unlikely - I'm thinking of of things like the 'Ask' or the 'Google' toolbar. I personally don't have any of these on my own computers. Apart from the fact they add very little value they take up scarce desktop space.

One other area to take a look at is to see what is trying to load itself at start-up. There is a whole load of programs which believe they must start automatically in the background when you turn on your computer, and these all take up resources which can slow your computer down. A good example is my scanner driver. It gets used two or three times a week, but believes it needs to install itself every time I turn the computer on. Now it doesn't, it's set to 'Manual' start, ie it starts up when I click on 'Scan'.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 vulcain

vulcain

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

Hello all,

Cyrène

You can download AdwCleaner
perform a search and post the report (only one search)
and if you have an infection, a member of disinfection may intervene.

Edited by vulcain, 02 August 2013 - 06:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users