Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files And Settings Transfer Wizard Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Puffagirl

Puffagirl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:34 PM

I am hoping there is someone out there who can help me! I have done a clean re-install of Windows XP Home SP2, and have come to the point of transferring all my files and settings back from the backup I did using the FSTW (Files and Settings Transfer Wizard). The only problem is, I now only wanted to install my OE messages and settings and not all of the files, folders and settings that I had originally backed up! Now all of the old folders and files etc that I got rid of from the re-install have transferred back into my C: drive and I cant get rid of them! I have tried system restore back as far as I can but they are still there - does anyone know how I can "un-install" the files and settings transfer I have just done?? I've read just about every MSVP website and newsgroup I can find, but none of them tell you if it's possible to uninstall your files and settings??!!

Any info would be great as I'm going crazy with the thought of having to do another clean install of Windows.

Thanks,

Vanessa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:07 PM

Hi Vanessa.
There is no way to undo or reverse the changes the transfer wizard has made. Once it's done, it's done.
There are 3rd party data transfer utilities (such as alohabob) that have an undo function but MS's transfer wizard doesn't. Without a clean backup source from which to restore from, I'm afraid you're looking at "another" clean install again. Sorry. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users