Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP Home SP3 Slow, Firewall Disables on Start up, Freezes; Dell I9200

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shley

shley

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

Hello I have a Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop running Windows XP Home SP3 with all updates. I also have Comodo Pro and use SUPERAntiSpyware Pro as well as SpyBot and CCleaner when needed. I recently upgraded the HD to a WD IDE using Acronis True Image. It didn't migrate over my recovery partition and this is probably unrelated but I wanted to mention it. The system is behaving very slow. I constantly freezes (mouse doesn't move) and the hard drive light blinks a lot as though it is doing heavy I/O or computations for no real practical reasons. I'm not sure what I can do at this point. I usually can fix slow systems but this has me stumped. Obviously there is some other problem which my security software and Win updates haven't helped. Are others having this same problem or behavior recently with XP Home? And can anyone walk me through some procedures to rule/out or check my system? Thank you 'shley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

Since you have a Dell system...an intelligent start would be run the Dell diagnostic software. Dell PC Diagnostics Dell US - http://www.dell.com/support/Diagnostics/us/en/555/ .

Louis

#3 shley

shley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

Yes, that does seem like a good start.
I selected "Software" and then it flagged me to download a Dell Dx program which I Allowed. However, it then said it couldn't read/write to a specific folder (didn't specify which one) because of permissions. I clicked O.K. and it continued on and then came back and said I need .NET Framework 4.0 or something compatible - which I do have 4.0...
I have .NET Framework 1.1 and the security update to that (KB2833941)
I have .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 and 18 updates under this.
I have .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 and 13 updates under this.
I have .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and 8 updates including 2 Hotfixes under this.
I have .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile and 14 updates to it.

Is this "Client Profile" the same thing that Dell's program is asking for or is there some other related .NET Framework 4.0 that I don't have? My MS Updates are showing nothing important to download....

Any ideas?

I'm wondering if somehow changing hard drives has messed up my Administrator status? I am the only one using the computer and my Guest account is disdabled. I think there was another user account - something like a .NET Passport or something that I deleted recently because I didn 't put it there. Did I mess this this up?
Thanks for helping!!

#4 shley

shley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

It is the  

"The Dell System Detect application" that it can't find on my system and wants to download.... seems like that should be a no-brainer.

#5 shley

shley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

I was able to get the Dell app loaded by unselecting under my User Account name 'keep my files safe' and unchecking that box. So it is now downloading....I'll post what it says.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users