Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OpenCandy

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Magic Sam

Magic Sam

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

I am thinking of downloading a hardware monitoring app "CrystalDiscInfo" which however I read is now bundled with OpenCandy. It seems that OC is borderline adware - spyware, cannot easily be filtered out, and is difficult to get rid off once installed.  Should I therefore avoid installing this "package"?

:scratchhead:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

I would, with all I've read about Open Candy and the complaints related to it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

...I tried CDI a long time ago & what it did was run, & report all tests passed except 1- then further down the page, guess what - I saw a thing to fix the exact same error as what was reported - for $30.00 - so I kept looking & found (free) Seatools, for Seagate & Maxtor Hdd's - ran that, & passed all - CDI 2MB one for all brands program vs. Seagate Seatools, 20MB just for my model? - you do the math - my bet's on Seatools - this page may help you find a link for what you have...

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

#4 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

Tks very interesting that your link lists several of the programs that had come to my notice with the honourable exception of CDI!  I put my hardware related query in a different post - this was intended to focus purely on the adware/spyware aspect - but what you have sent is very relevant

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

OpenCandy is an advertising application distributed by the OpenCandy Software Network which displays ads in other programs. The use of advertisement is a way to promote software packages and recover development costs. OpenCandy is not installed on a computer, does not collect personally identifiable information and in most cases allows the user to choose whether or not to install advertised software recommended by the vendor. Although no personal information is collected, the software does collect anonymous statistics about events and other data during installation. See What information does OpenCandy collect?

This is what OpenCandy has to say about their product.

OpenCandy provides a plug-in that developers include in their software to earn money by showing recommendations for other software in their installers. Developers use this money to keep their software free and invest in further software development. The installer uses the OpenCandy plug-in to present a software recommendation...during installation. You have complete control to accept the software recommendation by selecting either the “Install” or “Do not install” options on the software recommendation screen.

What is OpenCandy?

The OpenCanday network has partnered with various popular and trusted software developers who bundle their product as part of the program's software installation package. A list of such developers can be found here. Some vendors will clearly advise the use of OpenCandy before downloading their software, while others may provide confusing or no information at all. An example would be SIW (System Information for Windows) which clearly indicates on their website the use of OpenCandy.

OpenCandy is an advertising application.

OpenCandy is similar to Google AdSense, except it displays advertisements in installation program instead of websites. These advertisements promote another software packages. The advertisements are selected by providers of software being installed. When user installing a software (SIW) chooses to install promoted package, revenue is generated and shared between OpenCandy and software providers (SIW developers).

SIW Home Edition is bundled with OpenCandy

OpenCandy is not a virus or malware. However, since it is responsible for displaying advertisements, it may be detected (and sometimes removed) by various anti-virus and other security scanning tools as Adware, a classification that broadly defines the term as any software package which automatically displays advertisements in any form in order to generate revenue. For example, the Microsoft Malware Protection Center (MMPC) detects the program as Adware:Win32/OpenCandy, a low level threat and so does McAfee.

In response to this detection, OpenCandy has provided the following information:For another opinion, you may want to read: OpenCandy: A New Kind of Adware/Spyware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

Tks very interesting that your link lists several of the programs that had come to my notice with the honourable exception of CDI!  I put my hardware related query in a different post - this was intended to focus purely on the adware/spyware aspect - but what you have sent is very relevant

No matter how much info Crystal Disk Info claims to report, the real question is whether or not the information is really useful. I'm going with not. I think that Crystal Disk Info pretty clearly falls into the "baffle them with BS" category. Even if you choose to keep CDI and ignore the other stuff Open Candy wants to install, you are still left with the Open Candy module that is an Adware generator. Just say no to useless software.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

BTW, I have used CrystalDiskInfo zipped version which does not include OpenCandy like the Installer Edition (exe).

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

slgrieb we posted about the same time so I did not see your reply. I agree the information provided by Crystal Disk Info is not that useful for the average user.

#9 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

BTW, I have used CrystalDiskInfo zipped version which does not include OpenCandy like the Installer Edition (exe).

Fine. Please toss me the entrenching tool one more time. I'm sorry, I don't see much in CDI think I think is useful for the typical user,  I doubt I'd ever trust the software, and I don't see anything with the alternative download site that makes me trust it much either. My first connection to the site generated a message that my computer performance was slow, and subsequent reloads just gave me more ads for questionable software. Sorry, I don't do this stuff, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#10 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:04 PM

slgrieb we posted about the same time so I did not see your reply. I agree the information provided by Crystal Disk Info is not that useful for the average user.

That happens often on forums. Over the years, I've gotten very distrustful of utilities, These days, I'm inclined to distrust most of them.

Edited by slgrieb, 31 July 2013 - 07:06 PM.

WIFFLEBALL!

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

Yes a lot of utilities are useless and just take up valuable space.

#12 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:43 AM

Interesting! On balance (plusses vs minuses) I'm minded to give CDI / Open Candy a miss. The question then arises, what is the (least worst) alternative if I'd like to have some inkling of what might be going on "under the [HDD] bonnet" before disaster strikes?!

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:44 AM

Manufacturors like Hitachi, Western Digital Data, Samsung and Fujitsu all offer diagnostic tools for checking/testing a hard drive. Identify your HD manufacturor and visit their website.

#14 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:10 AM

I tried Hitachi (late) last night - and ended up on the Seagate website!  The latter deny all links with Hitachi (though they do "do" Maxtor HD's apparently) so the search will continue. I think there may be a tie-up between Hitachi and Western Digital, it all sounds a bit incestuous to me.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

In 2011, Western Digital purchased Hitachi Global Storage Technologies which is now called HGST.

Need help with your HGST hard drive?

Toshiba acquired Fujitsu Limited's HDD business in 2009 and signed an agreement with WD for HDD manufacturing equipment and intellectual in 2012. They all are jumping in bed with each other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users