Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Update through Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bbuser

bbuser

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

Hi All,

I have a Dell running Windows 7 and have something like 65 updates through Windows update that have been piling up. Over the last year I've tried to install them numerous times but it always tells me they fail and couldn't install. I've run the Microsoft "FixIt" tool that they suggest, and it says it works and does its things, but it still doesn't work even after that. Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

what error code shows up when you try to update?

#3 bbuser

bbuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

what error code shows up when you try to update?

I don't get an error code I don't think, I just get the bubble on the lower right that says "Windows failed to update" and then when I click into Windows update, I have the same number of updates "available" and it says:

Updates were installed: Today at 1:01 PM (Failed)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

Try MS Fixit at  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/troubleshoot-problems-with-installing-updates .

Louis

#5 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

Sometimes a specific update will fail and usually it will display an error code. You mentioned you have experienced this issue for over the past year ??

In that time I'm sure you have tried things to resolve the updating. Can you elaborate on the steps you have tried thus far ? This will help in trying to isolate

the exact cause. Below is a step you should take:

Firstly, go to SERVICES, go to start > control panel > services or you can go to Start > Run > then type services.msc.
Once you have the Services windows open, under all there services listed, please check if the windows installer service is running or not.

Regards..................

#6 bbuser

bbuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

I've tried the FixIt program lots of times and it says it resolves the problem, but it never actually does.

I've tried that, I've tried rolling back my computer, I've tried uninstalling certain updates that I've searched around and people have said might be troublesome, uninstalled lots of programs, ran every anti-virus/anti-malware/registry fix program I could find... nothing has worked so far.

I went into services and it said Windows Installer was "manual" so I clicked "Start this service" and now am trying to download and install all of the updates again. I will watch closely this time and see if I get any code.

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users