Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Most Of My USB Ports Don't Work

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

Hi, 

I'm having a lot of trouble with my USB ports and I was hoping someone could help me fix the problem.

My motherboard has four USB ports in the back of it. There are also two USB ports in the front of my PC which are connected to the motherboard. I also have a card inserted into the motherboard which adds an extra four USB ports, making ten in total.

One of the USB ports on the card works fine, but the other nine USB ports don't. When I plug a device into them, my PC either does nothing, says that the device has malfunctioned or says that the device cannot be recognised.

All the USB devices I've tried work only in that one port.

Please can someone suggest how to correct this and get the others working?

Here are the details of my PC:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate

Processor - Intel Q8300 Core 2 Quad (2.50GHz/4M/1333/05A/Socket: 775)

Motherboard - ASUS P5N-E SLI

Graphics Card - nVidia GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 256 PCIe  

Thanks,

Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

The procedure that springs to mind is to uninstall all your USB controllers, then do a re-boot - this will re-install them.

'Start / Control panel / System / Device Manager'. At the bottom of the box that appears you will see 'USB controllers'. Click on this to expand it and then RIGHT click on each controller in turn and select 'Uninstall'. Unless you are using a PS2 mouse you will discover that it is possible to navigate around without a mouse (once you have removed the controller for the socket your mouse is on !). Use the arrow keys and the 'Enter' button, and to shut the computer down use the 'Windows' key and then the 'Tab' key to work around to 'Shut down'. I knew I would find a use for the 'Windows' key on the keyboard sooner or later.

Let the computer shut down, re-start it and the USB drivers will be re-installed and hopefully working.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:33 AM

Thanks for the reply, Chris. I tried uninstalling each of USB controllers and restarting like you said, but unfortunately I still have the same problem with only one port working.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

Check this out.

Tips for solving problems with USB devices

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:05 AM

Thanks for the link. I tried running the tool with one device plugged in to one of the problem USB ports. It found errors but said it didn't fix them. Here's the report: https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/eau/ResultReport.html

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

One of the USB ports on the card works fine, but the other nine USB ports don't

Have you tried removing this add-on card just to see any changes or a probable resource conflict?

Tekken

#7 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:59 AM

I just tried removing it, but it didn't make any difference.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

Running a bootable Live disc would confirm if its a Windows or a hardware problem. See if it works by using your computer and ports in Puppy Linux environment.

Tekken

#9 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

Thanks for the link. I'll try that.

I've noticed that under USB drivers in Device Manager there's an "Unknown Device" listed. I don't know what it's referring to. I've tried uninstalling the device, removing all USB devices and restarting and I get "Device driver software was not successfully installed and the device reappears in Device Manager. Could that be something to do with it?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:49 AM

Use the information at Window SevenForums to identify the unknown device and post the results.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

Hi

One other stray thought. Have You examined the ports for Physical damage?

here is an example of a damaged USB port. http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/660iB84943387CA1D0CE/image-size/medium?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

A damaged port can drag down other ports on the same chip in the computer.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#12 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:16 AM

Here's what I found out about the device:

Hardware ID - USB\UNKNOWN

DevNode status:
DN_HAS_PROBLEM
DN_DISABLEABLE
DN_REMOVABLE
DN_NT_ENUMERATOR
DN_NT_DRIVER

Device Instance Path - USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\5&63FE5EB&0&4

When I looked the path up on driverlookup.com, I got this:

Driver Information
Device ID: USB\VID_0000&PID_0000
Device Name: Cypress AT2LP Manufacturing Driver
File Name: StoreandSave_Chipset_Driver.exe
Size: 613.6 KB
Platform: Windows XP 32-bit
Driver Provider: Cypress
Driver Version:
Driver Date: 0000-00-00
WHQL Certified: No

When I clicked the download link for StoreandSave_Chipset_Driver.exe, I got DriverNavigator_Setup.exe instead.

Class Long Name - Universal Serial Bus controllers

Class Short Name - USB

Class icon path - %systemroot%\system32\setupapi.dll,-20

Parent - USB\ROOT_HUB\4&25175ac2&1

I had a look at the USB ports, but none of them looked damaged.

#13 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:02 AM

I wasn't ignoring anyone. I posted a thanks for the link and said that I'd try it after the suggestion was made two days ago. Having no experience of using Linux I wanted to make sure I had plenty of time which I haven't had until today. 

I've been using this website for many years now and always appreciate the advice I'm given.

I tried booting with Linux and tested all of my USB ports. The one that works in Windows worked as did one other port on the PCI card. None of the others were working.

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:23 AM

Hi, That nails it down. You have bad USB Ports. I suspect that one of your USB devices is damaging the ports when plugged in.

I have seen that in the past, It was traced back to a printer that was killing the ports.

The best thing You can do at this point is Buy a new USB Card. You might also think about adding USB3 into the equation. I have switched over to it for all external storage devices, USB3 drives not USB2 drives, and using the USB2 ports for things like older USB2 external storage, Printer, Keyboard and Mouse. The difference in transfer speed with a USB3 drive in a USB3 port is impressive. I'm only buying USB3 external drives anymore as well as gigabit NAS drives.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#15 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:58 AM

Thanks Roger, and everyone else who replied. I'll send for a new USB card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users