Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D-Link Wireless Range Extender

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 baymerlou

baymerlou

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

I purchased this D-Link DAP-1320 N300 to extend my wireless range further out into my back yard.  Currently I have a modem/router from my ISP it's a Hiron Technologies supplied by Rogers Cable. 

The instructions looked very simple and even the salesperson at Staples said that it's kind of a plug and go with little setup involved.  Well, I guess I am one of the 'other' who find difficulty in something simple.

I plugged it in and waited for the flashing amber then held the side button in until flashing green.   I then saw it on my network access and proceeded to add it.   I asked me for the password to the network so I put it in, the light never went solid green.   I'm not sure of all the steps I did trying to get this working but nothing succeeded in getting the green light.   

The next day I phoned IT support at D-Link and was passed to a supervisor who then access my computer remotely.   He said that when he went into my services there were a few that were stopped and for him to fix everything that was required it would take 35 minutes and cost me $99 U.S. dollars if they were able to fix it, if they didn't fix it I would not be charged.   I declined and decided I would come here for help myself since I wasn't comfortable with a complete stranger poking around my computer.   I'm not afraid to go into the deep as long as I know I'm doing it correctly.   I was told by the Staples computer IT tech that to be careful messing around in msconfig.  So here I am, asking for help and to be careful activating the services that need to be turned on.   If this doesn't succeed I'll take it physically to a tech who can get this running for me. 

Can anyone here assist me in that?

TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:17 AM

I purchased this D-Link DAP-1320 N300 to extend my wireless range further out into my back yard.  Currently I have a modem/router from my ISP it's a Hiron Technologies supplied by Rogers Cable. 

The instructions looked very simple and even the salesperson at Staples said that it's kind of a plug and go with little setup involved.  Well, I guess I am one of the 'other' who find difficulty in something simple.

I plugged it in and waited for the flashing amber then held the side button in until flashing green.   I then saw it on my network access and proceeded to add it.   I asked me for the password to the network so I put it in, the light never went solid green.   I'm not sure of all the steps I did trying to get this working but nothing succeeded in getting the green light.   

The next day I phoned IT support at D-Link and was passed to a supervisor who then access my computer remotely.   He said that when he went into my services there were a few that were stopped and for him to fix everything that was required it would take 35 minutes and cost me $99 U.S. dollars if they were able to fix it, if they didn't fix it I would not be charged.   I declined and decided I would come here for help myself since I wasn't comfortable with a complete stranger poking around my computer.   I'm not afraid to go into the deep as long as I know I'm doing it correctly.   I was told by the Staples computer IT tech that to be careful messing around in msconfig.  So here I am, asking for help and to be careful activating the services that need to be turned on.   If this doesn't succeed I'll take it physically to a tech who can get this running for me. 

Can anyone here assist me in that?

TIA

I doubt that messing around on your computer and turning on services/mucking around in msconfig has anything to do with it.

The first thing I would try is temporarily turning off the encryption/password-protection on your router (if you can...since it is supplied by Rogers, you may not have that open) and then see if the D-Link extender will connect.

I suggest this because why in theory all WiFi devices are built to the same standard specification, there are sometimes minor differences in how they implement things (such as WEP or WPA/WPA2). I have found that sometimes WiFi devices that use difference WiFi chipsets don't play nice together at all...sometimes they don't play nice together with WiFi protection turned on.

#3 baymerlou

baymerlou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:45 AM

Thanks for your reply.  

I do notice on the router/modem settings that the WPS is enabled but not configured.  Would this possibly be the issue since all the instructions point to the WPS configuring the device to connect to the network.   I did get as far as giving the device the same network name but then after reboot it just didn't connect, solid green light.  

Today I did try to reset back to factory settings but still not connecting.   I'll check what you suggest and post again tomorrow. 

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:47 AM

Thanks for your reply.  

I do notice on the router/modem settings that the WPS is enabled but not configured.  Would this possibly be the issue since all the instructions point to the WPS configuring the device to connect to the network.   I did get as far as giving the device the same network name but then after reboot it just didn't connect, solid green light.  

Today I did try to reset back to factory settings but still not connecting.   I'll check what you suggest and post again tomorrow.

Never really used WPS myself...I personally just do it manually. Thus, I am not much help with WPS.

#5 baymerlou

baymerlou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

I think it's the Roger's modem/router that is making me unable to connect this range extender.   I would have to put the modem/router in bridge in order to have the wifi turned off on the unit and use my old router then I'll be able to extend the range with the extender.   I'm saving up for either the Asus or Netgear router.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:12 AM

Have you tried connecting it to a good position where it reaches a good signal? Where should I position my DAP-1320 for best results?

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users