Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whitesmoke toolbar

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 weezer

weezer

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

I have been infected with whitesmoke malware on ie 8.  I got rid of most of it with malwarebytes but it returns on restart.  Any suggestions?

Edited by hamluis, 31 July 2013 - 12:07 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GodfatherKing

GodfatherKing

• Members
  • 587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

:welcome:

Let's try this:

:step1: Use AdwCleaner to remove the toolbar.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Note: Please note that Antivir Webguard uses ASK Toolbar as part of its web security. If you remove ASK by using Adwcleaner, Antivir Webguard will no longer work properly. Therefore, if you use this program please use the instructions below to access the options screen where you should enable/DisableAskDetections before using AdwCleaner.

• Using AdwCleaner is very simple. Simply download the program and run it.  You will then be presented with a screen that contains a Search and Delete button.  The Search button will cause AdwCleaner to search your computer for unwanted programs and then display a log showing the various files, folders, and registry entries used by these programs.

• To delete these unwanted programs simply click on the Delete button, which will cause AdwCleaner to reboot your computer and remove the files and registry entries associated with the various adware that you are removing.  On reboot, AdwCleaner will display a log showing the files, folders, and registry entries that were removed.

If you have received help from me and I don't have respond to you for almost >= 3 days, send me a Private Message.  :hello:

#3 weezer

weezer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

Thanks for the information.  I did use AdwCleaner to get rid of the toolbar and malwarebytes to clean up the system but everytime I restart I get an error message RUNDLL  Error loading C:\Conduit\CT3289847\pluggin\TBVERIFIER.dll  Specified module could not be found.  Now I want to get rid of the error message....Any ideas?

#4 GodfatherKing

GodfatherKing

• Members
  • 587 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:19 AM

:step1: Download AutoRuns

==> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

:step2: Run autoruns en search TBVERIFIER.dll  or something that's related to Conduit then deactivate it.

Edited by GodfatherKing, 01 August 2013 - 02:19 AM.

If you have received help from me and I don't have respond to you for almost >= 3 days, send me a Private Message.  :hello:

#5 weezer

weezer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

Thank you GodfatherKing...That did it!

#6 GodfatherKing

GodfatherKing

• Members
  • 587 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

:step1: My advice is to keep your computer up to date with Windows Updates, Java and Adobe Reader and Flash Player.

:step2: Use WOT to inspect sites if they are safe or not :http://www.mywot.com/

:step3: A good working AntiVirus is also important. I personally advice Avast free or Avira. MSE it's detection is not so great.

:step4: Let's check how good your security is:

Download Security Check from here or here and save it to your Desktop.

• Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
  • Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

NOTE 1. If one of your security applications (e.g., third-party firewall) requests permission to allow DIG.EXE access the Internet, allow it to do so.
NOTE 2 SecurityCheck may produce some false warning(s), so leave the results reading to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users