Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

script I didnt initiate and cant stop always running on my dell d600

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Samuel32

Samuel32

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

Hi.  Im new to this forum, and running a dell D-600 laptop with windows XP PRO, SP3, with only 1 gig of ram and a small 80 gig HD.

most of the time when running internet explorer, surfing the web, and quite often while looking at craigs list, a flag will pop up asking if i want to stop the script that is running and admonishing me that if i dont stop it my system may crash. I stop it only to have it continue or start back up and produce the same flag again very soon after Ive clicked to stop it. I have no idea why this script is running or where it came from, but it seems to fill the computers memory very quickly and bog the computer down, sometimes to the point of freezing up. Also very often and randomly my cursor breaks lose from my control and drives hard and steadily completely out of my control up and right, and I cannot regain control of it, till it has made the complete excursion to the upper right corner of the screen and sat there till it seems contented with the trip. sometimes alternately the cursor will, as it is doing right now, run horizontally to the left edge of the screen and then run slowly down a few milimeters with each key stroke then stay out of site till i press and hold the left click button and run the mouse in circles for a time to break it out of the corner and regain control. I mention this mouse pecuilarity as it might have some connection to a possible virus causing both things, although the mouse problem has been happening longer than the script.

My first priority is the script and the possiblility that it may be involved with a bot or something possibly gathering info from this computer and reporting to a hacker or other entity that could steal identity etc, but,  if the mouse issue is seperate I will deal with it later.

I can build computers and have infact built my own desktops a few times, and repair this laptop, actually my wifes laptop, often,  as well as my sons Gateway, but for whatever reason, am not nearly as skilled at using them.

In attempting to track down a reason for this script, i discovered something on my computer that i never saw before called synchronize properties in C:\Documents and Settings\dad\Start Menu\Programs with a size of 1.48KB, size on disk 4.00KB, created Wed, sept 10, 2008, possibly around the time I bought the used computer, and then modified, (unintentionally i might add, since i was unaware of its presence), Wed, May 15, 2013, possibly around the time the script problem began. Have no idea if theres a connection, but looked up this program online and saw info about script used to transfer files between computers which i have never done. and I wonder if this syncronize properties program is being used to harvest information from this computer for use by another online. and i either synchronize properties or script is needed on this computer since I never intentionally cause either to be there or working. a couple of years ago the computer died due to a common problem with dc connectors on Dell D600 computers, and after I repaired the bad mother board and replaced the connector i had to download and reinstall all the programs so I pretty much knew what programs were on the computer at the time and have never intentionally downloaded  Synchronize Properties or started any kind of script running constantly.

can  anyone help me stop this script permanently and to determine what synchronize properties is, if Synchronize properties is involved and if either has any purpose useful to me or if they are, as i believe, infact, working against me, in some way, and using up memory and hard drive space pointlessly? and if i could simply get rid of them both, and never miss them?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

It's kinda normal for that to happen. I also happens to me on Firefox in addition to IE. It's also dependent on the speed of the computer. The faster the computer the better it handles those those type of events.

May I suggest you consider an alternate browser such as Firefox or Chrome. They will probably work better when they run across those scripts. You can also add Adblock Plus to them which will make them safer.

Don't worry, they will import all your IE favorites and other data.

About your synchronize properties shortcut, can you right click it, go to properties and copy and paste the target in your next reply.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

The scripts referred to...are on the webpages that you visit, not originating from your system.

I always just say "yes" to stop the script, xince my guess is that it's advertising of some sort that I'm not interested in...or it's some type of popup/diversiont that has nothing to do with the webpage contents that I am interested in.

Louis

#4 Samuel32

Samuel32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

Thank you both, Hamluis, and .X. for your quick replies. both allow me to relax a bit more, and perhapse conside looking for other slow down problems. Since i had no idea what the source of the script was I feared the worst. .X., im posting the properties of "synchronized Properties", and will try both of your suggestions. The program, Synchronized properties bothers me cause I have no idea where it came from, and it seemed to appear about the time the script problems seemed to appear. oops im trying to figure out how to paste the properties of the program. so far no luck. I placed them on the clip board pasted them to paint and expected to be able to attach them, but dont see that option. while the paint document is still on the clipboard tried to select each of the paste options above but all are greyed out and wont work. I know its simple but apparantly so am I. in any case being new to this forum I just havnt seen the button that works to bring the saved properties up here for you to see. Im sure I will discover what im missing, i mean besides my brain, soon.

#5 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

It's simple text. Just right click the reply box and click paste or use CTRL-V.

#6 Samuel32

Samuel32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

ok sorry about the brain fhart. here it is.  this is the target: %SystemRoot%\system32\mobsync.exe

#7 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

That shortcut is fine and it points to a legit XP file. It's usually located in Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\ but it's called Synchronize, not synchronize properties. You can drag and drop it to the original folder or just leave it there.

#8 Samuel32

Samuel32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

Ok. thank you so much, .X., for some reason its called alternately Synchronizee properties and just synchronize on my computer and also in a different loction, but if its a legit xp file then i need to look elsewhere for what slows the laptop down. it was screamin fast a few months ago, and now is very slow, and this scripting thing also is new. i assumed they were related.

one other thing the computers been doing lately is a flag pops up saying it is too short of memory to perform the task i've asked it to do, and says something to the effect that while its dealing with the memory being too low some things that im trying to do may not work, but when it does this, what I'm doing is all it has to do. So I wonder what clandestined program is eating up the memory, and is considered by the computer to take priority over what I'm doing. one thing I hadnt thought of is that I was in two different locations where this never happened, and when I moved to my current place, with a new internet provider, brighthouse, that is when  all this started, but strangely in my sons house also with brighthouse, it was still screamin fast, a few months ago., and the script errors never popped up nor did the memory full flags. Sorry I'd forgotten about the memory thing when I first posted, cause I believed I was close to the problems root when I saw the repeated script warnings. Now I just need to rethink it and see what other clues I can find as to what the cause is.  I guess i need to get off the computer for a while now as i said its actually my wifes computer and she wants to use it now. thank you soo much  for your help I will log on again when i have a beter idea of what to look at next and my wifes done with her computer for a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users