Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ports open, no connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Crumbs

Crumbs

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

Hey,

So, this is a problem that started happening suddenly for a friend of mine. His torrent client stopped connecting (it was uTorrent, but we also tried Vuze since). Here's what I had him do:

- Check if the relevant port (50800) is open here:
http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/
The port was closed.

- Open the port in his router (standard TP-Link, he did so in "Virtual Servers" part under "Forwarding").
Still closed according to the above site (and others)

- Created rules in Windows firewall. Didn' help. Disabled Windows firewall completely (and stopped service), didn't help.

- Weirdly, every other port we checked was also "closed" (even 80, etc.), but that happens in my PC too, so I guess there's a logical explanation for this.

So you see - ports are open in router, Windows firewall isn't the culprit, and still the port is blocked. I read somewhere that sometimes these sites will tell you the port is closed just because they're not being used at that moment. I found that true in my PC (my Vuze port is "closed" when Vuze isn't open, but then it says it's open when I turn on Vuze). But even when my friend opens up Vuze, the port is still closed according to the site, as opposed to what happens in my PC.

This is really weird, he doesn't know what changed (it worked before), firewall and router seem not to be the problem.. what else? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

P.S. He has Windows 8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

I would use PFPortChecker From portforward.com to check your ports."[their] port test uses a local application to listen for the server trying to connect and then positively verifies that your port is forwarded." They have setup instructions there as well that you can check your settings with (note the router setup software is OPTIONAL the guides are free [click wisely]). Without your model number its hard to be specific however most setups (as you mentioned) are similar between tplink routers.

1. Enter the Service Port number
  2. the STATIC IP address of the computer,
  3. Protocol = ALL,
  4. Status =Enable
  5. Click Save

Try a system restore and see if it starts working again, Do a factory reset on the router and reconfigure it, check for Malware/Virus, Or Anti-virus/Security Software possibly blocking the port on his computer.  

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Crumbs

Crumbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:24 PM

Thanks Sneakycyber, the problem was solved (forgot to update) - turns out they had some deal with the ISP on a "parental protection" program that blocked some stuff. Thanks!

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

Glad you got it fixed, sorry for the late reply  :thumbup2:

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +