Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to navigate BIOS

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NerdSmurf

NerdSmurf

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:36 AM

Hello guys. I'm a new user and hoping to get some advice. I am still running a stock Dell Dimension E521 with XP SP3 Media Center Edition. Recently, I attempted to access the BIOS setup (F2 at loading screen) and realized that I couldn't access it. I figured maybe legacy USB was disabled so I removed the CMOS battery to reset it. Now, since I reset the CMOS it wants me to run setup to verify the date, but I get the ridiculous "keyboard failure" error followed by instructions to press keys on the keyboard it claims not to recognize. Oddly enough, if I press F2 to go to setup, it takes me there. But once I get there, the Number Lock light on the keyboard comes on and I can't manuever with the arrow keys. If I skip the BIOS setup by pressing F1 to continue, I am left with the option to boot from a disc. After I post this, my next objective is to swap my drives around until I can access my HDD, but even then, I am left with no access to my BIOS. Also, I should mention that this particular motherboard has no PS/2 ports, so I can't imaging the default BIOS setting disabling USB....but from what I gather it seems to be the issue. Has anyone else run into this issue? I searched the forums and found a similar topic, but couldn't manage to find a definitive solution.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NerdSmurf

NerdSmurf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:28 AM

After poking around the forums, I must apologize for jumping in feet first and throwing my frustrations at unsuspecting strangers without even saying "Hi my name is JT". I admit, I scrolled through the "Read Me/Terms and Agreements" frantically searching for the words "I AGREE/ACCEPT". At the time, I was troubleshooting and rushing to get answers. But that is no excuse for poor manners.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

I would replace the CMOS battery...then boot the system, enter the BIOS...set correct date/time data....check the boot order, save the changes by hitting F10.

Then try to boot.

Louis

#4 NerdSmurf

NerdSmurf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

I replaced the battery. When I boot, I receive a "keyboard error" message, along with the incorrect configuration error prompting me to run setup. I press F2 and I am taken to the BIOS setup. At this point, the Number Lock light on the keyboard comes on and I am unable to go any further, since no keys on the key board will function. I can't use the arrow keys to move and can not save and move forward since pressing F10 does nothing.

#5 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

What kind of keyboard are you using? wireless / wired?

Anyway, you may just want to try a different one.

#6 NerdSmurf

NerdSmurf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:34 PM

I've tried two keyboards so far. Both wired USB. Now I am also unable to boot. I'm getting a "Diskette Drive 0 Not Found" error along with the keyboard failure error. I figure that is because of the CMOS reset and the default floppy drive being enabled. What is puzzling me is why it isn't recognizing my HDD or my CD ROM drive. If I can boot from my Windows cd, maybe I can configure things from there. Maybe it is simply time to upgrade.

#7 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:57 AM

If you are trying the exact same model of keyboard, then try a different model of keyboard - I wouldn't have any other usb items plugged in - just the keyboard. If you are still having problems after that I'd call it a day.

You can do some other stuff like getting a pci ps2 adapter or looking to see if the motherboard has the pins for ps2 output but I think that is a little extreme.

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:43 AM

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-282689/please-help-dell-pc-keyboard-failure-problem/

7th post down.  ( I contacted Dell and was able to resolve the problem with this easy fix...as follow.......etc )

Let us know if this helps.

regards,

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users